Chapter 25

"Simply stated, if we don't give the pirates a portion of our crop, they will destroy our homes with us in them." The man from earlier explained his problem to us in hopes that we would help. Ahsoka, Obi Wan and I sat beside each other at the table, across from us was the four bounty hunters and at the end of the table was the leader of the village. Anakin stood behind the bounty hunters in the darkness of the hut, sun having just set.

"Hmm, I see your dilemma." My Master nodded in understanding, listening intently.

"Sillim farming is a meager trade. Without our herbs to sell, we will have no money for food, fuel or equipment." The leader continued.

"And yet you can afford to pay mercenaries?" My master asked, directing to the bounty hunters.

"These bounty hunters drive a far more reasonable bargain than the pirates." The little man explained.

"Why not just fight them yourselves?" Anakin proposed the idea simply.

"Easy for you, perhaps. But look at us. We are farmers, not warriors. Even with the bounty hunters' help, I had feared the worst. But now, there are seven of you." Casiss cheered.

"What do you want, Jedi?" Sugi, the female bounty hunter asked us harshly.

"We need a ship. Ours is beyond repair, I'm afraid." Obi Wan subtly glared at Anakin from across the room.

"The one in the barn, that'll do." Anakin suggested calmly.

"That's our ride. It doesn't go anywhere without us. And right now, we're busy." She laughed at his suggestion.

"Busy extorting farmers?" I countered with my view on the situation at hand.

"I don't hear you offering to help." She commented smugly, leaning back on her chair.

"Unfortunately, we couldn't help even if we wanted to." Obi Wan told everyone.

"What?" Ahsoka asked in shock.

"Ahsoka" Anakin tried to warn his Padawan from running her mouth and getting us into more trouble.

"Let's discuss this elsewhere" Kenobi stood to his feet and lead us Jedi outside.

"Master, these farmers are in trouble. Why can't we help them?" Ahsoka questioned with frustration.

"Believe me, Ahsoka, I would like nothing more. However, we need to report that the medical station has been destroyed. If we stay too long, the Separatists will show up looking for us here." Obi Wan explained his reasoning simply.

"But—" she tried again.

"Better they get robbed by pirates than attract the interest of General Grievous and his horde." He finished sternly, letting her know that there was no use in arguing.

"Pirates! Pirates, pirates! The pirates are back!" A small child shouted as they ran towards the house. I watched as the child ran to his father inside while the bounty hunters joined us outside. The sound of speeders rumbled, until a group of pirates stood before us in the dark night.

"That's far enough. I speak for the people of this village. State your name and business." Sugi demanded, taking the lead.

"My name is my own business. And my business is taking what's ours." The pirate stated mockingly.

"There is nothing here that's yours. Unless you're here to buy it." She snapped back at him.

"Buy it?" The leader laughed, stepping forward and into the light. "Kenobi! Skywalker!"

"Master?" I looked up at him, wondering who this pirate was and how he knew our masters.

"I can't believe you came all this way to see me." The pirate commented as Ahsoka and I looked to each other with confusion written all over our faces.