𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

January, 504 AD

"Arthur, lay him on the bed. He is struggling to breathe. Gwen, fetch me some water and, Astra, a towel," Gaius ordered the three of us around firmly as he gathered some supplies from the shelves. I dazedly glanced around the room, finally spotting a white piece of cloth laying atop a kitchen counter. I stumbled towards it and struggled to grab it, given that my hands were shaking. I clenched my jaw and finally snatched the darn thing before bringing it to the physician. 

The elder man thanked me and said nothing else, so I went to sit on the working table, pulling my knees to my chest as I took deep breaths. 

"Is he going to be alright?" the Prince asked as he nervously nibbled on his bottom lip while he watched Gaius work. Gwen pulled a chair next to Merlin and pressed the now wet towel to his forehead while the physician examined him. Arthur stood to the side with a dumbfounded expression, not knowing what to do to help – much like myself. 

"He is burning up," the physician commented as he touched the young sorcerer's cheek. "You can cure him, can you not, Gaius?" Gwen asked the elder man, her voice barely above a whisper. "I will not know until I can identify the poison," he responded gravely, "Pass me the goblet," he turned to me. I frowned and looked around, soon realising that said object sat next to me on the table. I quickly grabbed it and handed it over. 

Gaius examined the silver cup for a few moments, turning it over in his hands. His eyes widened as he looked inside it. "Ah. There is something stuck on the inside," he noted. I jumped off the table and moved to grab some tweezers from a drawer, then gave them to the physician. He nodded in thanks and reached inside the goblet, pulling out a small yellow thing. 

"What is it?" Arthur asked as he stepped closer to Gaius to examine the thing. "It looks like a flower petal of some kind," the elder man replied, squinting his eyes as he looked it over. I moved closer in curiosity. 

"His brow is on fire," Gwen informed the physician as she bit her bottom lip. "Keep him cool. It will help control his fever," Gaius instructed her. She nodded and returned her attention to Merlin. 

I tilted my head as I watched the physician move towards the book stands and pull out a huge book on botany, then he brought it over to the working table and laid it down before he started skimming through it. I stood next to him and eyed the book as he flipped the pages, figuring that two pairs of eyes were better than one. 

A yellow sketch on a page caught my attention and I put my hand over it, stopping Gaius from turning the page. His eyes widened in realisation as he read. "Ah. The petal comes from the Mortaeus flower. It says here that someone poisoned by the Mortaeus can only be saved by a potion made from the leaf of the very same flower. It can only be found in the caves deep beneath the Forest of Balor. The flower grows on the roots of the Mortaeus tree."