𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

May, 504 AD

The rollercoaster of emotions that had been the fight left me in dire need to lay down and close my eyes for an hour or two, so after begrudgingly allowing Gaius to change my bandages, I made my way towards my room; but was thrown off course by Arthur suddenly storming out of the Council Chamber, jaw clenched and body tense. 

I frowned at the sight. "Hey, Art. Everything okay?" I called out softly. He ignored me and power-walked towards his room. I gulped, worried about him, and dared to follow him. "Arthur," I called his name again as he opened his door. He scoffed and turned around. "What?!" he snapped. I flinched back at the sudden motion. 

"I-I just wanted to see if you were okay," I replied in a whisper, not wanting to rile him up any more than he already was. He looked down and sighed. "I just had an argument with my father," he explained. I gave him a sad look. "I am sorry for yelling at you," he added, his voice softening as he sent me an apologetic look. "Don't worry about it," I shrugged it off. The Prince motioned towards his room and I hesitantly followed him inside. 

"I was going to take up the knight's challenge and he stopped me, and now Sir Pellinor might die tomorrow," Arthur explained further as he sat on his bed. He was much calmer now, but I could still hear the frustration in his voice. I hung by the door, shifting awkwardly. "Well, what if you died?" I questioned, nibbling on my bottom lip. "I am Camelot's best fighter, if anyone could beat him it is me," he replied, surprisingly not sounding as arrogant as he could've. He was simply stating a fact. 

"But what if something happened to you? The kingdom would be left without an heir," I tried to reason, actually feeling kinda grateful that Uther had stopped him. The thought of losing the Prince was a dreadful one. "What good would an heir be if he cannot defend his people?" he retorted. "Touché," I mumbled, making him tilt his head in confusion. 

"I will never get used to your weird phrases," he changed the subject with a smile. I snorted. "Well, to be fair, you people say some things that throw me off as well," I replied. "Throw you off what?" Arthur questioned with a frown. "Never mind," I waved him off, then chuckled. 

"Where are you from, again? Because you said that you came here from Ealdor, but Merlin came from there too and he does not speak too differently," the Prince questioned. I realised that I had moved closer to where he sat at some point without noticing. "Uh. I'm originally from a faraway kingdom called America," I replied sticking to the half-lie I'd settled on some time ago. "I have never heard of it," he stated, his eyes filling with curiosity. "Yeah, well, it's very far from here. Dallas n' I had to travel by boat," I explained. "For months," I added. 

He seemed pretty satisfied with the answer and didn't question me further, thankfully.