𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

March, 504 AD

"Now, that's just abusive," I commented as I read a discarded page from the lengthy document that Uther was going over. I'd gotten bored after finishing my work with the horses for the day, so I'd decided to hang out with him in the Council Chamber while he tended to Kingly duties. "Perhaps it is somewhat unreasonable, but I would hate to lose Lord Collins's support," he replied as he set down another page next to where I sat on the table. He'd long given up on trying to get me to sit on a chair like a 'proper lady'. "So you're just gonna let 'em run poor Mr. Harrison to the ground? Six dead cows does not justify taking all that land. Or any at all!" I argued, raising my eyebrow at the King. 

He sighed pensively and took the page from my hands, examining it once more. 

"Mr. Harrison does not have the money to pay Collins back for the cows," he noted. "I wonder why?" I responded sarcastically, causing him to frown up at me in confusion. I huffed. "Read the document from five years ago again," I told him, handing him another set of papers that had been set aside. Uther paged through it carefully. "It seems they have had several incidents over the years," he replied, tapping his chin. "Y'know, I'm willing to bet this is a set-up," I added, eyeing him carefully. "What do you mean?" the King set the document down and looked up at me again. 

I sighed. "Well, Collins has been slowly chipping away at Harrison's land for decades, one small incident blown out of proportion at a time. The one where Harrison supposedly stole some wood is especially suspicious because there was no evidence whatsoever, but the local judge seems to have sided with Collins because of his status. Also, if Harrison's dogs are really so out of control, other neighbouring farms would have reported similar cases of dead livestock by now." 

Uther's eyes widened and he gathered all the pages again, reading them more attentively this time. "I think you might be right. The evidence for all of these incidents appears vague and inconclusive," he mumbled. I nodded. "Thank you for your observations, Astraea. I will order the judge to investigate further. Collins will lose his title if this proves to be correct," he spoke louder this time as his eyes grey eyes moved to mine once more. I shrugged. "My Uncle's a lawyer, I picked up some stuff," I mumbled as I nibbled on my fingernails. 

"A what?" the King asked as he retrieved a paper parchment and some ink. "Uh. Legal counsellor?" I tried. He hummed and nodded before going to write and I watched him intently. He had the penmanship of a drunk doctor – I could only make out a few words, with a lot of struggle. 

"I still think that you should've kept the griffin and trained it to protect Camelot," I spoke again as I grew bored, lacking something to focus my energy on. "Those creatures are better off dead, Astraea," Uther grumbled in reply. "Yet you have a dragon imprisoned underneath this castle!" I exclaimed, sending him a pointed look. He sighed in annoyance, not looking up from the letter he was writing. "Can I meet him, by the way? I wanna be his friend," I asked with a grin. Uther's jaw clenched. "Does he have a name? How old is he? Does he breathe fire?"