𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

February, 504 AD

After months of working hard every day, I finally dared to ride Cinderella around her shared paddock without a bridle. It helped that the stables were unusually devoid of people, given that most courtiers and knights had stayed up until very late celebrating Lancelot. 

I'd gone to bed at around 22:00 like a good girl. 

Dallas and Gaius's mule grazed peacefully as I saddled the dark bay mare, then I clasped on my helmet and zipped up my protective vest before climbing on the medieval saddle she wore. I wiggled for a few seconds, still unable to get used to its shape. It made me feel too disconnected from the horse's body, and the high pommel and cantle took some mobility away from me. But, sadly, Dallas's normal English saddle did not fit her, so I had to swallow my discontent. 

Finishing with my mental whining, I asked the mare to walk on and guided her around the paddock at an easy pace; mostly testing out the voice command for stopping – which is the most important one. Once I was completely certain that she still understood it and was willing to perform it every time I asked, I dared to bring her up to a trot, which she was happy to do as she surged forwards. 

Some minutes later, I asked her to canter, instantly regretting it as my stomach collided with the pommel when I went to stand on the stirrups and I groaned in pain, but allowed her to keep going. 

I stopped her at a corner, turned her around, backed her up, and rewarded her with a piece of carrot before asking her to canter again, now to the other side. 

"You are a crazy person!" Sir Leon called out when I rode past him as he walked towards the stables. "Thanks!" I replied with a smirk. 

Ella finished her workout a couple of minutes later and I cooled her off before untacking her and setting her loose once more. She instantly trotted up to Dallas and stood beside him quietly as they grazed shoulder-to-shoulder. I smiled at the sight, wishing I could take a photograph. Their friendship was so precious! 

I let out a sigh and gathered the saddle and neck-rope, taking them back to the tack room. 

"Astra, Lancelot has been arrested!" Merlin startled me as he rushed into the small shed behind me. "What?!" I asked as my stomach dropped – along with the stupid saddle I was carrying. "They found out about the fake seal," he explained, looking mortified as his face paled. "Fudge," I mumbled and quickly placed the saddle on its rack before following Merlin to Camelot's jail. 

"Hey, buddy. Are you doin' all right?" I asked Lancelot with a sad smile as Merlin and I entered the small room in which he was being kept, standing on the other side of the bars. He sighed in disappointment. "Well, I was stripped of my title, but at least I get to keep my life," he commented with a dry chuckle. Merlin looked down with guilt in his eyes.