𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

March, 504 AD

"You're over my head, I'm out of my mind,

"Thinking I was born in the wrong time,

"One of a kind, living in a world gone plastic,

"Baby, you're so classic..."

 "Astraea, be quiet," Uther scolded, glancing at me with narrowed eyes. I smirked. "Oh I'm sorry, am I being annoying?" I asked innocently. "You know you are," the King grumbled. "Well, it's your fault for adopting me. You signed up for it," I retorted as I swung my legs, which dangled from the table I sat on. "I am starting to think that might have been a mistake," he said under his breath. I snorted. "No backsies." Uther frowned up at me in response, then went back to reading the letter in his hands. 

It had become commonplace for me to hang out in the King's room while he did his usual paperwork. At first, I did it out of boredom. But as it turns out, he appreciates my smarts. So he had taken to actually asking me to sit with him and go over his documents, which came with the added bonus of getting private purposefully out-of-tune concerts. That he didn't appreciate as much, but it is what it is. 

"All right, what do you think?" Uther asked as he handed me the letter once he was done reading it. I took it and scanned it over, then frowned. "Wait, I thought Arthur was, like, betrothed to Morgana," I said, tilting my head as I stared at the man. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped. And I could've sworn he paled a little. "No! That...that could never be. Why would you think that?!" he asked. I snorted at his bewildered state, then shrugged. "Well, she's a girl, he's a boy, they're very close, and they're not related. Plus, I've heard some talks about her becoming Queen some day," I explained my line of thinking. 

The King shook his head emphatically. "No. That will never happen," he assured me. I shrugged it off and continued reading the letter, ignoring the sinking feeling in my chest. It's not supposed to do that. Why's it doing that? I don't like it. 

"So you're gonna marry him off to some random girl, instead?" I asked once I was done going through the paper. Uther scoffed. "She is not a 'random girl'. She is a princess, and the daughter of a great ally," he told me sternly. "Sure, but they don't even know each other. Don't you want Arthur to marry someone outta love, rather than convenience? That's a terrible foundation for a marriage," I voiced my stance on the matter, eyeing him carefully to see his reaction. He frowned. "They will learn to love each other."

I raised my eyebrows. "Or she'll end up divorced or beheaded," I whispered to myself, thinking back (or forward?) to the long history of royal marriage disasters. Henry VIII, I'm looking at ya'.