•sore & song•

-
j.potter's POV
-

I woke up in the morning with a pounding headache and a missing sock. Not the best way to start my day but I sat up and looked around. Sirius was a dead man in his bed, sprawled out with every limb touching a corner.

Peter was what woke me up because he just entered the room, strange I'll have to ask him about that. And Remus, he was gone. I didn't see him come to the party of leave it but I heard from Sirius that Dorcas cheated on him yesterday. He's probably face down in the library.

When I went to the bathroom I saw myself in the mirror for the first time and SHit, holy fucking shit, bloody hell I look like a leopard or a cheetah. This is not how I wanted to meet my parents.

Today was the last day before students could ride the hogwarts express back to kings cross for Christmas break. And by the looks of it, Lily certainly wanted to leave an impression.

Today I only had two things in mind though. Pack everything and see Diana's last performance before break. Ted told me that since she was a student still that during the break she could only start working after her birthday. New Year's Day.

Seeing her on stage singing- hearing her sing just brings me joy. As much as I care for Lily, I don't exactly take her out to the three broomsticks every date because of the butter beer.

As I stumbled back into the dorm, still hungover from last night I saw Moony. "Hello cheeky bastard." I sang to him and he pinched his nose before saying, "Morning James." He must have a headache, he gets the worst migraines after full moons.

"How was the party?" He asked me. "Wonderful." I said in response. "Did you even do something other then suck Lily's face?" Remus asked me with a smirk and we watched the snow fall outside our window.

"So you went?" I asked him and handed him a chocolate bar that was on top his trunk. "Yes, my chain of events last night was catch Dorcas cheating, party, shagging, bubble bath, cuddles and then sleep." Remus spoke and ate.

"Well then stop speaking. Eat, you'll feel better." I said to him with a smile. "So what's your plan for Christmas?" Remus asked me. "What we do every year but um with Ranger and Amos." I said quickly and Remus grinned.

"So anything changed about what you told me in July?" Remus asked. No it hasn't, I still like her- actually no I might be in bloody love with her and I just don't want to be the jerk that messes with Lily's feelings so we snog non-stop but never shag. "Yes"

I responded curtly and Remus looked puzzled, "I've never seen two people so stubborn." He muttered under his breath. "James, do you like her? And I don't want the words; lily, evans, lily-flower, or redhead used." Remus asked.

"Yes but it's probably nothing...right?" I said but my statement of reassurance at the end felt as more of a question. "If you have to ask then no, probably not." Remus said and I nodded.

"Do you wanna prank Sirius with me?" I asked him. And Remus nodded. We got metal buckets and filled them with water, throwing them on top of a half naked, passed out Sirius Black. He woke up and jumped, in the end falling out of his bed and tackling Remus to the ground.

"Remus was this all you?" Sirius asked, pining him to the ground. "I am not a snitch, Padfoot!" Remus yelled and I laughed. "It was Prongs!" Peter yelled and pointed at me. "Wormtail you traitor!" I yelled and Sirius was now chasing me.

I ran into the great hall and upon realization. Sirius is only in boxers and I am wearing low rise gray sweatpants. Both of us stop when we hear a whistle. Our heads snap and we see Diana dying of laughter on Snivelus' shoulder and Lucius Malfoy on the other side of her with his fingers in his mouth.

Across from them was Nathaniel Nott, Marius Pucey and Finneas Flint. Sirius and I were getting objectified. Sirius posed and smiled and blew them kissed and I was frozen.

Was it in embarrassment? Fear? Mortification? Nope. It was out of bloody anger. Why is Severus touching Ranger? My Ranger? Why wasn't she laughing at my jokes like that? And then I saw her wink at Sirius and I and she nodded at Regulus who gave her a hand full of knuts.

She threw them at us and to my surprise, Vincent wasn't sitting with them. Weird- well actually great shows that Diana strikes fear into them.

✨🔮🪄

I had finally got the boys all packed for leaving tomorrow and then decide that I'd go to the three broomsticks alone tonight. As I walked in the three broomsticks there was something different. She wore a new dress.

It was a beautiful silk red dress that went down to about her knees. She looked bloody amazing in red, it brought out her warmth but green was her classic. "Hello everyone, tonight is the last you'll see of me for a while so don't get too excited." She said into her microphone and cued the band. The lead in felt like forever this time. And then she began singing.

"Running in the shadows, Damn your love damn you lies"

Well I've yet to here her do this one. It sounds good but Diana could make nails on a chalk board sound good so.

"And if you don't love me now then you'll never love me again"

Well if that isn't bloody targeted. Oh well she doesn't see me in that way, as much as I wish she did.

"I can still hear you saying, we'll never break the chain.."

She looks slightly pained on her face. When she finished singing I saw Ted rush to help her off the stage so I went to her. "Are you okay? Do you need help back to the castle?" I asked her and before she could reply, Ted did.

"Yeah, please take her back to hogwarts." Ted asked and I wrapped my arm tightly around her waist to help her walk. "What happened?" I asked her as I helped her put on her robes and scarf and hat. "Oh I'm just Sore, last night at the party I left early to go work out." She spoke and I nodded.

As we excited the three broomsticks she leaned on me for warmth and I leaned into her. "Merlin's balls it's freezing out." She said and I laughed. "Glad my discomfort is amausing you, Jamesie." She spoke. "It always is, Diana." And with that we walked in a comfortable silence.