Chapter Sixteen ✘ Whack-A-Mole

"Wish we could turn back time,
to the good old days."
Stressed Out — Twenty One Pilots

"Stressed Out — Twenty One Pilots

"He definitely wants to fuck you."

I let out a groan, fisting my hand frustratedly as I fix a glare on Bella.

"Shut. up." I grit through my teeth, leaning back in my seat and looking away from my annoying best friend.

The rest of the soccer team are gathered around the long table in the basketball facility's fancy media room as we wait for our coaches. Maroon walls with posters and pictures of past basketball teams and players, a vending machine in the back of the room, a huge screen and projector hung on the wall, it's as fancy as the rest of the building.

They weren't kidding when they said the basketball team is well funded. And yet here we are, the soccer team, with not even a team bus to ourselves.

"I think we're gonna discuss how to raise funds for the upcoming season." I hear Malia say to Maya, who are both sitting to my left.

This catches my attention and I turn to them. "What do you guys usually do?"

Malia shrugs. "It's mostly about impressing sponsors. Old people with generational wealth or fancy ass sports junkies. Whatever they want, we do, just to get their cash."

I crinkle my nose. "That's not the most unpleasant way to do it, I suppose."

Thalia, who's seated across from us sighs. "It's either that or fundraisers. We do a couple every year."

I'm about to respond, when Coach Summers and Coach Raye trail inside the room, and we all greet them as they stand together in front of the room.

"Good morning girls." Coach Summers begins, tucking a strand of golden hair behind her ear. Her green eyes take in each of us individually. "We don't want to keep you for long, so we'll make this quick."

"As most of you know," Coach Raye adds in, crossing her arms across her chest. "We're low on funding. This season is our chance to make amendments, even if that means going the extra mile to impress sponsors. And they love to see our teams merging together, showing a united front. CSU is built on a reputation of unity, and that counts on terms of all our sports teams."

"Which is why, the girls soccer team and the boys basketball team will be working closely together for this season. They have the sponsors and the recognition, and that publicity will help us reel a few in for ourselves." Coach Summers continues, setting down her clipboard. The whole room is silent, taking in all this.

"To kick things off, we'll be doing a fundraising car wash this weekend with the basketball team. You guys will work together to pull this off, and raise money. All the funds will go to our team to prepare for the upcoming season. I expect you all to work well with the boys for this event and everything in the future, I will not tolerate any drama or fights." Coach adds the last sentence sternly, and I could've sworn that she glanced at April when she said that.