Chapter Eighteen ✘ Downfall

"Dreams we have don't ever fall away,
We can't leave 'em if we stay the same."
The Business - Tiësto

The annoying sound of my alarm screeching jolts me awake, and I pry my eyes open enough to blindly grab my phone to shut it off.

Groaning to myself, I squint at my phone that reads 5:30AM. I'm half tempted to go back to sleep, but I remember why I set the alarm in the first place.

Less than twenty minutes later, I'm sitting in my car, wearing a baggy t-shirt and shorts with my favorite red bikini underneath, my surf board in the backseat.

Just as when the early morning light starts streaking through the dark sky, I rev the engine and zip through the mostly empty Californian streets, because only the early birds like joggers and high schoolers are out this early.

I pull up in the beach's parking lot shortly later, shouldering my bag and kicking off my flip flops. I stuff them in my bag and take off in a jog towards the water.

The beach is deserted, but there are people on the boardwalk, cafe's and restaurants opening up for the day. The salty wind is cool against my skin as I halt a few feet away from the water, dropping my bag onto the sand. I peel my shorts and t-shirt off, shivering a little in only my skimpy bikini.

I grab my board, and fasten the leash around my ankle. Without a moment's hesitation, I run into the water, carrying my board over my head until the icy sea water reaches my chest.

Hoisting myself up onto the board, I lay on the cool wood on my belly, paddling away from shore. I stop a few feet away, straightening up to sit on the board, my eyes on the horizon.

It's peacefully quiet, only the sounds of the waves splashing and the seagulls surrounding me. The salty smell in the air and the cool wind soothes me, and I can't help the small smile that blossoms on my lips when the sun finally starts peeking from the horizon, casting it's gorgeous glow across the water.

I watch as the sun rises, bathing the entire city behind me in light, everything in my head calm and soothed. This is my therapy, this has been my therapy since I was fifteen. Watching the sunrise and sunset on my board, all by myself.

Thinking about my childhood, I glance down at my body before I can stop myself. The high waisted bottoms of my bikini cover my lower stomach, so I press my hand against it. A tinge of relief flows through me when I can feel my flat stomach and not a bulge.

My eyes flutter closed, a familiar dull ache threading inside my chest.

Not anymore.

Inhaling a deep breath, I let it flow through my chest, easing the tightness a little bit. I dip my hands in the water, feeling the chilly temperature on the tips of my fingers.

Once I've calmed, I'm about to go ahead and catch a wave when I hear splashing behind me.

"Damn. You stalking me, Rivers?"

My eyes almost pop out of my head, an annoyed groan rumbling out of me and I twist my body around to see Jace laying on his inky black surfboard, paddling his way over.

"This salty wind must be making your brain a little rusty, Parker, because the last thing I'd do is go all Joe Goldberg on you." I raise my eyebrow at him as he halts next to me, only in a pair of white trunks. "You're not even worth that kind of effort though."