Chapter Twenty Three ✘ Deal's A Deal

"Before you burn me to the ground, please stay 'til the beat of our heart runs out."
Lasting Lover — Sigala & James Arthur

The warm breeze tickles my face as I sprint down the field, the soccer ball between my feet.

I can hear my teammates yelling out things at me as I dodge Malia, and make a clean kick towards the net.

The ball collides with the net with a sharp swoosh, and Faith cheers, jumping on my back and fisting the air. I laugh, grabbing her thighs and keeping her upright as Coach blows the whistle, signaling the end of the practice match.

Bella jogs over as everyone disperses to grab water, poking Faith's arm, who's still on my back. "Hey, you guys heard about the Halloween party?"

I shift, hoisting Faith higher up on my back as she wraps her arms around my neck firmly. "What party?"

"The boys just told me." Bella gestures towards the bleachers, and I look over to see the basketball team lounging around watching us, probably right after their practice. I hadn't noticed them watching us play.

I look away before my traitorous eyes seek out a certain asshole. "When?"

"Well, Halloween is this weekend. So this weekend. Micah's place." Bella says as she starts walking towards the bleachers, where the rest of our team is taking a short break, right next to the basketball team.

Faith slides off my back as we approach the bleachers and I take a seat at the lowest row, pulling out my water bottle.

Thalia scoots over, throwing some orange slices my way. "Good play, Rivers. Eat up."

Grinning a thanks to her, I slide a wedge into my mouth, relishing in the fresh citrusy flavor. The bleachers behind me squeak, and suddenly, Kai jumps off the bleachers onto the ground, grinning from ear to ear.

"Play a one on one with me."

I narrow my eyes at him. "No."

"Scared?" He challenges, and I snort.

"Totally."

"You're not competitive to me." Kai stares me down, his eyes mischievously lighting up. "Luckily, I know someone who is."

"What?" I throw the second orange wedge in my mouth, chewing, my eyes following Kai as he saunters over to the basketball team sitting a few feet away from us.

He walks straight up to someone who's back is to me, and it takes me a few seconds to realize it's Jace.

Of course it is. No one else in the team has that many tattoos.

Kai grabs his shoulder and hauls him to his feet, and I see Jace's face morph into confusion as Kai tells him something, steering him in my direction.

What the fuck is Kai doing?

"This is going to be fun to watch." Thalia snorts, reclining against the bleachers behind her, holding up the rest of her oranges like it's popcorn.

Kai pushes Jace right in front of me, forcing me to look up at him. It's the same as usual. Black basketball kit that contrasts with his tattoos, sleek white Jordan's that look like they cost more than my rent, chestnut hair matted against his forehead with sweat from practice.