Chapter Thirty One ✘ Strawberry Shortcake

"Your guilty conscious is going to be the death of me, you got so caught up in the moment."
Love You Like Me - William Singe

"Love You Like Me - William Singe

"Rivers. Sit your ass down."

I narrow my eyes down at the blonde who's glaring right back up at me, her inked arms crossed over her chest. For a flicker of a moment, I let my eyes wander up Jordyn's bare arms that are revealed from the red tank top she's wearing, tracing over the delicate tattoos on her tan skin.

"Stop fucking bossing me around." Jordyn grunts as I take a step back, shoving my hands into the pockets of my joggers.

"That's kind of the whole purpose of why I'm here. I'll bring it to you." I retort, walking over to the kitchen to fetch her the fruits she said she wants.

"You must live a very sad life to have nothing to do on a Friday night that you offer to babysit a fully grown woman." She calls after me, and I swivel on my feet, meeting her eyes from across the room as I step into the connected kitchen.

"Right." I clear my throat, trying not to think about how I didn't hesitate a second to agree when Faith had asked me if I could hang out with Jordyn, since I have no interest in watching a fucking opera anyway.

Pulling open the fridge, I peer in. It's quite filled, but the only fruits I can see is a big bowl of plump red strawberries. I grab it and close the fridge with my hip, holding it up for Jordyn to see.

"These?"

Her grey eyes leave the TV screen that's playing some reality show and looks in my direction. "Yes."

Walking over to the couch she's on, I hand her the bowl before settling down next to her. As soon as I sit down, Mocha, her dog leaps onto my lap, rubbing her head against my hand.

"Hi pretty." I ruffle her small ears, cuddling the puppy to my chest. I'm distracted with Mocha and the TV for a few minutes, and when I turn my attention back to Jordyn, the bowl that was filled to the brim with strawberries was empty.

My eyebrows raise, and she look at me, noticing my eyes on her. "What?"

"Alright, strawberry shortcake. You sure love strawberries, huh?" I can't help the grin that tugs on my lips as I peer into the empty bowl.

She stares at me for a moment, and I see her eyes drop to my neck, where her waist chain lays. I expect her to give me a sharp response, but instead, her shoulders sag a little and she looks back at the TV. "Yeah, they're my favourite. Sort of like a comfort food, since I was a kid."

My interest piques. "Why strawberries?"

Jordyn shrugs, absentmindedly reaching over to stroke Mocha on my lap. "I..."

She trails off, and my brows furrow as I study her, wondering why she's hesitating. Jordyn locks her eyes with mine, and a determined look dawns on her face, before she takes a deep breath and speaks.