Chapter Thirty Five ✘ Hotel Transylvania

"Tell me your confessions baby,
what's the worst?"
Church — Chase Atlantic

"Can you believe it's Christmas in a few weeks?" Thalia huffs as she kicks the soccer ball over to me

"Can you believe it's Christmas in a few weeks?" Thalia huffs as she kicks the soccer ball over to me. Her inky black hair is twisted up into a braid, a few strands broken free and framing her structured face.

"Time flies." I answer, passing the ball along to Faith before sprinting away to my position.

Faith swiftly catches it, before bounding towards the goal. Bella, who's in the opposite team, advances on her. But I know Bella's weaknesses from years and years of playing together, and I anticipate her next move.

Pushing my legs to run faster, I stay parallel to Faith. Bella notices me approaching and steps between me and Faith in an attempt to block a pass, just like I expected her to. Her focus shifts momentarily, looking away from Faith, giving her the perfect opportunity to shoot.

Faith kicks the ball straight into the net, Maya, who's goalkeeping, missing the ball by inches.

"Fuck!" Bella curses, running a frustrated hand through her hair.

Faith giggles in response, jogging over to me and slapping her palm against mine in a high five. Bella rolls her eyes at us, and it feels like we're fifteen again, back in Miami teasing Bella for not being able to do a soccer trick.

"You're lucky we're on the same team," I poke Bella's shoulder. "Or else we would've kicked your ass."

"Girls! Good work out there," Coach Summers waves us over, and we surround her, downing water bottles and energy drinks. "We have a small joint meeting with the basketball team, so please gather in the basketball faculty's media room in ten minutes!"

The entire team buzzes with confusion, debating what it could be about as we all go up to the fancy media room. The door swings open, and it's already occupied and loud inside because the basketball team takes up the long table pushed against the left side of the room. Their coaches are standing in front of the room by the smart screen, playing some tapes of an old game.

We're ushered to take a seat by the long table right across the boys, and I find myself seated adjacent to Jace. He seems to be in a heated conversation with Ty, and doesn't notice our arrival until Kai hollers a greeting to me and my friends.

His eyes immediately find mine, like they always do.  It's like whenever we're in the same room together, our gazes lock instantly with no effort, almost like a reflex. I never have trouble finding him in a room full of people, and neither does he.

Jace throws me a dimply grin, which I return with a playful eyebrow raise, before our coaches grab our attention. Coach Raye and Summers have joined Coach Bradshaw in the front of the room.