Chapter Nine

Took me long enough. Guys, I've been so busy with school which means the uploading schedule will be a little crazy. Please be patient with me! I love yall!
Oh BTW , it's in Jays POV!

-----

Jay's Pov

"Maya Elizabeth Ovard, you are seriously getting a time out as soon as we get home. I promise you that." I yell at the small child who has just decided to make the biggest mistake of her four year old life.

I look back at her again and then at the red juice stain covering the white seat of my Audi and sigh. It was my fault she had the juice in the first place but I also told her not to open it.

"Daddy, I'm sorry." She whispers and I immediately feel guilty for shouting at her.

The rest of the ride home is silent so that I can ponder on my decision. By the time we make it home I'm feeling completely guilty and ashamed for yelling at her over something that can easily be corrected.

We walk inside and the smell of food immediately captures my attention.

"Hey, what you cooking good looking?" I ask hopping on to the counter watching as Maya takes a seat at the coffee table.

"Just some stew, what's up with baby cakes?" She says nodding her head towards Maya.

"I was a little rough on her." I say lowering my head in shame.

I hear her drop something in the sink before standing before me.

"What happened?" She asks folding her arms.

"I yelled at her."

"For?"

"She spilt juice, red juice, in the Audi after I told her to leave the cap on. Do you know how much that's gonna cost to be fixed? But then again I gave it to her and now I don't know whether to punish her or not. Lord, I can't breathe." I stammer shaking my head.

Katana begins to laugh and I look at her in disgust.

"Why you laughing? It's not funny!" I shout letting my legs swing over the counter in a childish manner.

"Dude, just put her in time out for five minutes. Tell her that she disobeyed you and that's why she is there. Explain to her what she did and she'll know you're not being malicious. She's really smart, she'll understand." She explains smiling at me.

I nod and hop off of the counter.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome but go talk to her now because dinner is almost ready."

"Alright woman."

I go to the table where Maya is sitting and sit beside her.

"Maya."

She looks up and I notice her puffy eyes clearly from crying and I begin to back down until I remember that I have to do this whether I or her like it.

"Maya, I asked you to leave the cap on your juice and you didn't. Because you didn't there's a stain in dads car. While the car isn't important, it's the fact that I clearly told you not to do it and you did not listen." I say placing her in my lap.

"I'm sorry daddy," she says hugging me tightly.

"I know but you're gonna go in time out for ten minutes and when your time is up I'll come get you." I explain while leading her to the time out chair.

She sighs with a frown on her face but nevertheless she sits and I go to set the timer.

"She's so chill," Katana says from behind me.

"Her mom was like that." I reply taking a seat at the dinner table.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. She was so beautiful and smart and funny. Vanessa was a lot like you. She was my first love." I say remembering the girl I once loved.

"What happened to her?" She asks taking a seat.

"Sickle Cell. It was rough on her and having a child to take care of didn't make it easier. I didn't know about Maya until last year. Her mother, Lorraine, had called my firm and told me I had a daughter and that she needed me. I didn't get a DNA test because she's literally my twin. At first it was shared custody between us but I'm ready to be there completely."

Katana nods and I continue.

"I'm so scared of failing Vanessa and I constantly wonder what she would do. She would've whooped Maya but I could never. I don't know, maybe. I don't know." I repeat.

"It's not gonna be easy. She's a baby and she needs stability and guidance. You have to be there completely and love her. She's incredible and I'm already beginning to love her. There's no rights or wrongs just do what's natural and easy. Give her love and you're already winning." Katana says sincerely.

We talk for awhile and I began to relax.

"You're doing your best, that's all that matter," she says.

When I go to reply the alarm rings and I go to retrieve her for dinner.

"You're all done girly." I say picking her up and kissing her small face.

"Stop dad!" She yells trying to wiggle out of my grip.

I kiss her cheek again before putting her down.

"Love you kiddo."

"Love you daddy."

And that's when it clicked. I may not be Vanessa and I may not completely understand the ends and outs but the love that I could give her was a good start.

---

Hope yall liked because it's one of my faves!
I really like writing in Jay's pov so look out for more of these!