Chapter Ten

Hey everyone, I'd first like to say thank you for over 5,000 reads and over 200 votes! Thank you from the bottle of my heart! Today, I will be uploading two chapters. The first is a bit serious and shows more of Jays campaign. The second is more chill and fun and we learn a bit more about Mya!
While reading this keep an open mind and please leave comments, I'd love to see you guys opinion.

_______________

"Our biggest concern is that Jay Ovard has no plans to help the poor, he has no plans of helping minority's, and he has no plans for economic relief."

For an hour we've watched journalists go back and forth over Jays campaign. They've spoken over his ideas, his past, and most importantly what it will mean for New Yorkers if he's elected.

"Turn it off," Jays speaks for the first time since we've begun watching.

In the back the journalist continues to speak on the idea of Jay only caring about the rich and that his main concern is proving that he can win and not the issues.

"We have to see where -" his adviser, Andrew, begins to speak.

"Turn it off!" Jay bellows and the tv is immediately turned off.

Jay stands and begins pacing the floor.

"What the hell do they mean I don't care about minorities? That's the most bullshit I've heard in my life. Of course I care about minorities. And the poor? Are they fucking kidding me? I have plans for all of it. All of it! " he shouts and rubs his hands through his hair and I take that as my time to intervene.

"Can I have a minute with Jay? Alone." I ask politely and everyone agrees.

The stress of his campaign plus the news from his mother is overwhelming and it's beginning to take a toll on him and it's beyond noticeable.

"What are your plans?" I ask knowing that he wants nothing more than to be heard.

And like a dragon he begins spitting out incredible ideas to spark change and communication. He plans on building homes for the homeless and poor, money coming from the rich. He speaks on clean ups and providing health care.

"What about protest and the judicial system?" I ask hoping to keep the fire burning.

"What like Black Lives Matter? That'll only cause more problems," he says looking straight at me.

"You have to speak on it. It's an issue that's tearing New York apart." I say seriously.

"It's not my issue."

"It became your issue the moment you had Maya."

"How?" He asks and for the first time I see the naivety in him.

"Your daughter is black and white. Those are her issues as well and hers are yours. When she goes into those streets she isn't mixed, they don't see the white in her. They see black." I say honestly.

What I tell him is the honest truth. As beautiful as Maya is and as white as her father is, in the eyes of others she is still black.

"I guess I never looked at it like that," he replies.

"Because you've never had too."

Jays POV

I take in consideration everything I've been told and now here I stand in front of fellow citizens, elected officials, and journalists to give a speech that I'm hoping will change everyone's view of me.

"Hello everyone, I'm Jaycord Alexander Ovard and I'm currently running for mayor of New York. The crowd is mixed and here's why. We are all New Yorkers, my election or non election will affect everyone. Today, I watched as a journalist spoke on my campaign, negatively as I expect they're paid to do. He said that I didn't care about the issues and in front of me I have a list of why that's complete and utter bullshit."

I start my speech and the curse causes whispers and collective gasp.

"I'm just like you all, I curse. But that's not the point. First he said that I didn't care about the poor. I have a plan to build 400 new homes for our local homeless and impoverished. Where will the money come from you may ask? It comes from the wealthy. Next, he said I didn't care about the minority's. My daughter, Maya, is a minority. Her mother, who is deceased, was black. The issues matter because they affect my daughter. My daughter is Trayvon, Mike, and many others. I promise that I will bring justice to those who never received it. " I speak and as I do so I look at the members of the audience. The men and women who lead regular lives, the men and women who are counting on me to make New York a better place.

"If you all vote for me just know that you will never have to do it alone. I am you, your issues are my issues. Thank you New York!" I conclude my speech and as I go to walk off a young girl, maybe 16, in the audience raises her hand.

"Yes?"

"How do you plan on bringing back my brother?" She asks and I know what she's referring to because the pain and anger is evident in her voice.

"I can't bring him back but I can put away the person that took him away from you."

The night goes on like this for hours. I take questions and have conversations with people I've never met before. I give them the only answer I can and as I lay in bed later that night I realize that the best thing I can do from now on is be as sincere as I can.