Chapter Twenty

This has not been edited!
I'm gonna edit later tonight, but enjoy.

----

"Are we almost there?" A tiny voice sounds from the back.

"Almost." Jay replies and resumes his driving.

We're on our way to Brooklyn for one of Nana Mae's famous birthday parties. I was excited and a little anxious considering that this would be the first time that Jay's family would be meeting someone very special to me.

I had always wondered what it would be like to have more than my Nana and now I was finding out, it was a strange yet incredible feeling.

"Right over there, pull into the second one." I say to pointing the small garages that lined that street and he obeys before killing the engine.

Inside the party is in full swing and outdoors isn't much better since a block party, like always, breaks out. Before long the neighbors are and the entire block is celebrating Nana Mae's birthday.

"Baby K, you made it!" Nana exclaims over the loud music booming from the speakers.

"Hey Nana!" Jay and I yell over the music, both hugging her, and there we all talk for awhile before we all go our separate ways.

Sweet reggae music is blasting and I feel it taking over me until someone pulls me from my trance.

"Does this always happen?" Jay asks and I send a confused look before he clarifies.

"Do people always have huge parties for your Nana?"

"Oh, yeah. She's like the grandmother of Brooklyn. She's everyones Nana." I reply with a giggle before grabbing his hand and taking him to see my old room, something I had promised him the night before.

The pink walls still stand at full attention and the bed looks as if it's never been touched. When I was younger, I had begged for the plush pink carpet that we were standing one. I look around at the many decorations and pictures cluttering the dressers and walls. My entire life story was in this room.

"God, it's so pink." He says while picking up a silver studded picture frame from the dresser and begins to laugh hysterically.

"Awe, shut up. We all had our ugly years." I say looking over his arm to see a young, brace faced Katana.

"Not me, I've been sexy since child hood." He replies and I send a playful glare.

I take a seat on the bed and close my eyes. Seconds later,  the mattress dips and a hand makes its way to the small of my back.

"I like your room though. It's very you."

I sit up and take his face in my hands. The amount of love that's inside of me is overwhelming and calming all at once.

Closing the distance between us , I kiss him. It's a kiss that says thank you, I love you, and I couldn't be happier with anyone else.

When we pull apart from the kiss, it feels as if I've been washed of everything. My past is gone, my hurt is gone. All that matters is the life in front of me.

"Come on, my family is here." He tells me slightly breathless.

Jay's family is standing in the kitchen and I'm a bit surprised at how calm they seem to be.

They and Nana Mae had already gotten aquatinted before Jay and I returned.

"Welcome to the dark side!" Nana Mae had yelled over the music and I shook my head at her before escorting his family into the den.

"I'm glad you all could make it."

"We are too. This is my kind of party!" Mr. Ovard exclaims over the music, takes a swig of his beer, and leaves to play cards in kitchen.

I look around and I smile at the sight in front of me. Jessica and Maya are bonding with my cousins, Mrs. Ovard and Nana are partners in a dominos game, and Mr. Ovard is playing cards and swaying to the music.

"Wanna dance?" Jay asks and I nod.

We take our place on the dance floor, the music is slow and soft as if the day is winding down, when it's only just begun.

"I love your family." Jay says absentmindedly and smile up at him.

We sway there for a while before the music changes to something more upbeat and all my cousins crowd the dance floor.

I pull my hair up and take my shoes off before returning to Jay, whose on the dance floor dancing away with everyone.

Bounce music begins feels the air, probably at my Uncles request, and all of the girls quickly find a partner to tweak with and I take my mans hand and starts a little rhythm up.

"Aye, white boy doing the damn thing!" Someone yells and that just encourages us more.

He follows and soon everyone is watching us, but I could care less.
The music changes again and it continues like this for the rest of the night.

"That was probably the best party I've bee to in years." Mr. Ovard says as we all sit on the couches in the living room eating cake.

The party was now over and we were surprisingly still here.  The day couldn't have gone better.

"Your cousins are really cool. We're going to a party together next weekend." Jessica says.

We all continue to talk until it gets late and we all decide to make our way home.

"Love you, Nana." I say kissing her cheek and walking out of the door.

"Love you more baby." She yells after me.

Today was a good day filled with good people. It's one of those days you want to repeat forever.