Charity Event | Chapter 2

Jennie and I stuck together as we waited for the guests to arrive. She was nervous, and she fiddled with the sleeve of her blazer to calm herself down.

These people look so rich and so elegant, they look so scary.

I bumped my shoulder to hers, "Ease up a little. You look unnatural standing so straight."

The younger girl scowled at me. I laugh it off. Jisoo help me. I scanned the room for Lisa, finding her in a crowd of men. She was standing awkwardly and pleading me with her eyes to help her but I just laughed heartily at her, causing Jennie to turn to look at what I was looking at. Lisa didn't really know how to interact with men.

She laughed too, earning a unsatisfied look from Lisa.

Where is Lisa? A familiar voice thought.

Jennie's voice overpowered the voice earlier. She looks uncomfortable, maybe I should go. I grabbed onto Jennie's arm, earning a frown from her, "What Jisoo?"

"Where are you going?" I asked, pretending that I didn't already know.

"To help Lisa, she looks miserable."

I shook my head at her, "Chaeyoung's going. You, stay put right here."

Jennie rolled her eyes at me and retracted her hand back from my grasp. Annoying asshole.

I scoff silently. Lisa spoke in my head again. Chaeyoung's coming? Where is she? I met her desperate eyes. Jisoo unnie... help please. I subtly moved my head to shake my head at Lisa. To be fair, it wasn't that I didn't want to help her. It was because Mr Kim had tasked me to stay with Jennie the whole evening so she doesn't do anything stupid.

For all he knew, I could be the one doing something stupid tonight.

Mr Kim invited both Jennie and I to the stage to start our small speech. I allowed Jennie to have the first few words because she could. I listened, to the voices that weren't spoken; head voices.

50 thousand? That's a lot. A feminine voice thought.

Another went: This campaign better be helpful.

I hear Lisa's voice again. You've bagged about 30 thousand bucks. You have the last few words to bag the 20 thousand and more.

I spot her in the crowd with Chaeyoung, both looking over at us. Lisa raised her champagne glass at us and nodded with a smile. I smile back in gratitude.

"This campaign will benefit many people, including each and every one of you businessmen and women. Our company would do the best we can to make everyone's life better," I spoke into the microphone. Her voice is so soothing. I recognised the voice immediately, and it was so loud, I knew who it was.

It was the person right beside me, the girl who was learning from me, Jennie.

I turn to her, and gave her a reassuring smile. I sometimes wished that she could hear my thoughts as well, so I could convey specific thoughts to her when I need to rather than speak out loud. Sometimes that is embarrassing.

I ushered her down the stage, joining Lisa and Chaeyoung with our own glasses of champagne. I hope she doesn't hate me. I caught sight of a tall man approaching us. He wore a suit, buttoning his suit button as he walked towards the four of us.

I clear my throat, causing the three others to turn around to see the man. Oh my god... Jennie's voice had some sort of intonation that I couldn't understand.

"Hi," he greeted politely, bowing at us. We did so too, except Jennie. "I'm Kim Jongin."

Chaeyoung smiles, "Hello."