Unless... | Chapter 6

When we arrived at the restaurant, we sat opposite each other. She was hesitant, and I could tell because she was keeping her movement to the minimum. I cursed myself mentally for making things this awkward. It was perfectly fine days ago, but now I just made everything weird and tense. All because of my own emotional baggage.

"Are you ready to order?" I questioned in the nicest tone I can.

Jennie looks up to meet my eyes for a split second before looking back down, "Yeah."

I blinked at her before I raised my hand up to ask for the waiter, "Could I get a set of this? And uh... Jennie what do you want to have?"

She seems rather hesitant, "I'll have one of this." Not very polite to eat so much... Keep it to the minimum I guess. She smiled at the waiter, shutting her menu.

"Could you add a set of the fish roe sushi and two tiramisu desserts please," I added, nodding at the waiter after to send him off.

Who's she ordering that for? Jennie doesn't look up at me, instead she just stuck her eyes to her phone.

"We're supposed to have the time of our lives remember?" I taunted the younger girl because of the future she had seen. She nodded mindlessly, still sticking her eyes on her phone.

I reached over and snatched the phone out of her hands, "I ordered those for you."

She shot me a glare, "Hand the phone back."

I shook my head with a smile, "Not until our lunch break is over."

Jennie scowled at me, "I'm not going to repeat myself Jisoo."

I feigned a scared expression, slipping her phone into my jacket's pocket in front of her eyes, "Oops, it fell in!"

Is she being serious right now? The younger girl just sighed in defeat, and looking away from me. I hated the fact that she didn't want to look me in the eye— it made me feel so uneasy. Dick.

"Why are you being like that?" I questioned exasperatedly.

This time she met my eyes, and I could see the fire in her eyes just like the first time we met. I swallow thickly when her loud thoughts invaded my head. Is she really asking me this? I kept silent.

She inhaled sharply, "Being like what?"

I blinked at her puzzling expression, "So... closed off. It's hard for me to read you."

Jennie scoffed, "You mean I'm being like you?"

I was shocked by how straightforward she was both ways; her thoughts and her words. They seemed to be fuelled with sarcasm and some bitterness.

"I— I'm sorry. Could we just put it behind us and enjoy this? I wanted to have fun," I said in an apologetic tone.

Was I too harsh? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that— God she looks so sad.

"Sorry," she apologised.

I shook my head with a smile, "It's fine."

I missed seeing the excitement she had in her eyes the night we met out of work, and how she looked so happy in my presence. I might have jeopardised the whole situation. But how do I fix this?

Jennie clammed her eyes shut, seemingly having one of her episodes again, but she doesn't wince or show any signs of pain. Yet, it still worried me to the core seeing her troubled expression.

"Jennie, are you okay?"

"Distract me," she pleaded.

I panicked, "I... I like it when you wear red."