Uncertainty | Chapter 3

The weekend passed by quick, like it wasn't even there in the first place.

I enter the building, scanning my card before passing the gantries. I stood by the lift, waiting for the lift to come down. Just then, a familiar voice invaded my head. How coincidental.

"Hello unnie," Jennie greeted. I turned to her with a small smile and greeted her back. I looked around to look for Mr Kim, but he was nowhere in sight.

I blinked, "Where's Mr Kim?"

"At a meeting somewhere," she replied, unfazed. I nod.

The younger girl wrung her fingers in what seemed like nervousness. I wonder if she'll... help me with it? I was so prepared to ask her about it but now I just— No I shouldn't bother her if it's not about work. We're just colleagues now and she's just a mentor.

I kinked my eyebrow at the younger girl, "You know you can say something if you want to right?"

Shit. She turns slightly redder, "No— I didn't—"She's gonna laugh because I'm asking her for help figuring out my gift, that's so stupid.

"Out with it," I urged, even though I already knew what she wanted to ask from me. I tried to keep a straight face and hide the smile I had away so she wouldn't notice any more slips. I'm still quite surprised she hasn't pieced everything together.

Maybe one day when we get closer, and close enough, I'll let her in on my gift. Just maybe.

I tapped my feet impatiently as she continued to contemplate. I stepped into the lift and so did she. We were the only 2 people inside, and in such an enclosed place, her thoughts were way louder and direct.

"Jisoo would you mind if I..." she trailed off, avoiding my gaze. I wanted to chuckle, but I fought the urge. I didn't want to discourage her from telling me— even though I already knew.

The younger girl seemed to be deciding against telling me so I urged, "No. I don't mind now what do you want me to do?"

I was anticipating how she would put her words across to me by the judgement of the big mess of words in her head.

"Help me discover what gift I have?" she finally met my eyes. In this very instant, Jennie's eyes were filled with innocence, and they glinted in a strange manner that I've never seen anyone's did. No doubt, she looked so adorable when she looked at me like that. But that's besides the point.

We're colleagues. I should be professional and so should she.

I nod, "Of course." I wanted to get to know her better past the lines of work, and the labels of just colleagues. I wanted to be a friend, and possibly more than just acquaintances.

She was happy, by the looks of her huge smile on her face that always made one of her eyes smaller than the other. It was really cute to see how her eyes curve in a smile to match the one of her lips— she had an adorable eye smile.

Oh my god! The next thing I knew, we arrived at our level and the mass of voices swarmed into my head immediately.

Instinctively, I picked out voices I could recognise. Oh my fucking god! She's going to drive me insane with that pencil skirt.

I let Jennie lead the way, and I slowed down a little to keep a comfortable distance before I muttered under my breath, "Lisa, it's literally 8 a.m. in the morning... Get your shit together!"

How did I not hear you coming?

"Maybe you were too busy staring at Chaeyoung's ass to even notice," I grumbled softly as I passed the other workers.