Chapter 16: Bato of the Water Tribe

3rd Person POV

Aang picks up a sword from the ground and turns to Sokka. "Hey look, a sword made out of a whales tooth."

"Let me see that." Sokka grabs the sword from Aang's hands and inspects it. "This is a water tribe weapon. See if you can find anything else."

The boys scatter and look through the foliage nearby as the girls come forward. "Did someone lose something?" Katara asks.

"No, we found something!" Aang says eagerly.

"What did you find?" Asks (Y/N).

Sokka picks up a broken arrow. "It's burned. There was a battle. Water Tribe warriors ambushed a group of Fire Benders. The Fire Benders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill." The group runs, following Sokka until they end up at a beach.

"So then what happened?" Aang asks.

"I don't know. The trail ends here."

(Y/N) looks around, noticing a ship near by. "Wait! Look!"

"It's one of our boats!"

The siblings run towards it, seeing the scar on the boat, Katara asks, "Is this dads boat?"

"No but it's from his fleet. Dad was here." 

~~

It's nightfall now, and the four kids are sitting next to boat with a fire going. Everyone but Sokka is sleeping- Katara in her bed roll, Aang on Appa with a gentle hand on (Y/N), who's sleeping next to Appa in her bed roll.

At a rustling noise, Sokka stands to attention with his boomerang. "Who's there?"

At Sokka's voice a man steps forward, donning Water Tribe clothes and a familiar face. "Sokka?"

"Bato?"

The three sleeping kids wake up, rubbing at their eyes wearily. "Who the what now?"

"Bato!" Katara says.

"Sokka! Katara! (Y/N)!" The children race forward to hug Bato. "It is so good to see you three. Oh- you've grown so much."

"Hi. I'm Aang."

"Where's dad?" Sokka asks.

"Is he here?" Katara says.

"Is he alright?" (Y/N) asks at the same time.

"No, he and the other warriors should be in the Eastern Earth Kingdom by now." The children look downcast, shivering from the wind. "This is no place for a reunion. Let's get inside." Bato motions Aang to follow, guiding the siblings by their shoulders.

~~

"After I was wounded, your father carried me to this Abbey. The Sisters have cared for me ever since." Bato walks up to a women with a kind face. "Superior, these are Kota's children. They've been traveling with the Avatar. I found them by my boat."

"Young Avatar, it gives me great joy to be in your presence. Welcome to our Abbey."

"Thank you," Aang bows. "It's truly an honor to be here. If there is anything-"

Aang is interrupted by Sokka and gets a sympathetic glance from (Y/N). "What smells so good, Bato?"

"The sisters craft ointments and perfumes."

"Perfume? Maybe we could dump some on Appa, because he stinks so much. Am I right?" No one laughs at Sokka's comment, the only sound being heard is a cough in the distance.

"You have your father's wit."

~~

As the group enters Bato's tent, the siblings noticeably light up.