Chapter 5; Riding Hog Monkeys

(Y/N) POV

Walking through the forest, The trees seemed to loom over us. Some of the sun's rays were caught in the leaves, causing a warm green glow to highlight the earthy ground we walked upon.  

Aang walked casually alongside Appa, Momo perched on top of his shoulder. The walk in the forest silent, eerie almost until Sokka's stomach interrupted and emitted a large growl that demanded food.

"Wow Sokka, you're still hungry?" I ask my brother who began a futile search of a snack.

"Yes I'm still hungry!" Sokka snapped at me, and continued his search. "Where is my Seal Jerky?" 

Katara brings an annoyed gaze up to my brother. "Aang already told you that he used it as fire wood, remember?" I stifle a laugh as my sister reminds him.

Sokka pouts in realization as I ask Aang a question. "So Aang, where are the Hog Monkeys?"

"Not far, they should be here somewhere." Aang informs me.

The animals in question identify themselves as we find a clearing in the woods. Large and small Hog Monkeys are in the clearing, some of the animals cleaning each other. I notice a rather large Hog Monkey standing next to smaller one that was cleaning what seemed to be a younger Hog Monkey.

I point out the three Hog Monkeys to the rest of my group with a squeal. "They are so cute!" I gush. 

"They must be a family," Katara says "They're like us."

Aang and I laugh as Sokka flexes his muscles saying, "I must be the big strong one!"

Katara rolls her eyes as I tease him "I think Katara would be the big one, and you'd be the baby!"

Sokka is about to say something as we are interrupted by Aang.

"Guy's come on!" Aang is placed on the back of the medium sized Hog Monkey, waving us over and approaches us, Sokka gaping like a fish out of water. 

~~

After multiple times of struggle, I got up on the back of the Hog Monkey and secured my arms around Aang's waist. Katara is on the larger Monkey, getting herself comfortable while Sokka struggles with the little one.

Sokka yells out, frustrated and deems it "Impossible". I slide off the Hog Monkey I was currently perched on and go towards the lowest branch I could find.

"What are you doing?" Sokka questions me.

"Showing you the proper way to do it." I reply easily, walking towards Sokka and the Hog Monkey. 

The animals red eyes track my moves as I approach it. I gently place a few lychee nuts in front of the mammal and wait until she has eaten one of them before approaching her again. I place my hand on her muzzle when she allowed me to. The soft waxy muzzle of hers contrasted from the fuzzy and ticklish sensation of short brown hair.

"Sokka, come here." I command. Once Sokka was within arms length I yank him slightly, causing him to stumble. The Monkey sniffs his hand and then bends herself downwards, so he can hop on her back. 

"Okay, now get on." Sokka send me an annoyed look and combats my request with a whine. 

~~

Sokka yells out in surprise as the Hog Monkeys jump from tree to tree. Aang and I laugh in glee and Katara in happiness. 

"This is so much fun!" I yell to Aang.

"If you think this is fun, you just wait!" Aang replies.

"Wait- what is that supposed to mean?" I ask before screaming. 

Aang had let go of the Hog Monkey and jumped us up to a tree branch above where the Hog Monkeys were running. 

"Close you're eyes." Aang tells me quickly. I do as he says and only opened them when he told me to.

Looking down at what he made, which was a rather large pile of leaves, I share a grin with him, knowing what was running through his mind.

Sokka and Katara found me and Aang in a pile of leafs, having made leaf angels. They also found Appa and Momo's fur tangled with the same leafs, my hair in the same condition.

We ended the successful day with being on Appa, his and Momo's fur cleaned of leafs. The same could not be said for my hair, which was currently being brushed by Katara. 

Saying the day was good would be an understatement.

A/N: Hey guys! I'm sorry that I haven't been updating. I don't really have a reason except for I've traveling a lot and spending time with family. I'm going to England for a semester soon and I'm not sure how I'm going to get the A:TLA episodes to come with me, but I'll try! I'm hoping to get another chapter out either today or tomorrow. 

Much love,

I-swear-Im-innocent

(804 words)