Chapter 9: Winter Solstice; The Spirit World pt 1

Third person POV

The day began peaceful; Appa soaring through the skies gracefully while the gaang rested on his back. 

Aang rested on Appa's head, Katara laying stomach down, (Y/N) draping her arms and chin across the side of the saddle to gaze at the world around them and Sokka sitting against the head of the saddle.

"Those clouds look so soft, don't they?" Katara said, her sister humming in agreement. "Like you could just jump down and land in a big, soft cottony heap."

"Maybe you should give it a try," Sokka says, a smirk on his face. (Y/N) reaches over and smacks his arm softly.

"You're hilarious." Katara grumbles.

Aang jumps up excitedly, yelling out "I'll try it!" before jumping down into a big fluffy cloud. The siblings look over the rim of the saddle curiously, and Aang appears behind them with his glider out before landing on the saddle in a damp mess.

"Turns out clouds are made of water," Aang says, bringing his hands together and air bending the water off of his body and clothes.

"Hey what is that?" Katara and (Y/N) ask in unison, catching the boys attention.

"It's like a scar."

~~

the land was barren aside from burnt ground and debris from what once was a forest. 

"Listen," Sokka says, "It's so quiet. There's no life anywhere."

Aang gazes around sadly, (Y/N) only steps behind him. "Aang, are you okay?" Katara asks. He doesn't reply.

"Fire Nation!" Sokka exclaims angrily. "Those angry savages make me sick! No respect for-" Katara and (Y/N) shh him. "What? I'm not allowed to be angry?" He loudly whispers.

(Y/N) approaches Aang, who stands silently, gazing at what is left of the burned terrane. Aang plops down, sighing sadly. "Why would anyone do this?" he questions, scooping up some of the dirt. "How could I let this happen?" 

"Aang you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you." Katara reasons.

"Yes it does," He mumbles. "It's the Avatars job to protect nature. I don't know how to do my job."

"Aang-" (Y/N) begins, Katara cutting her off.

"That's why we are going to the North Pole. To find you a teacher." Katara sends a smile his way, despite the fact that his back is turned to her.

"yeah a water bending teacher," he turns his head to look at Katara,  "But there's no one who can teach me to be the Avatar. Monk Gyatso said Avatar Roku would teach me."

"The Avatar before you? He died over a hundred years ago how are you supposed to talk to him." Sokka asks.

"I don't know." Aang murmurs, Momo jumping in his lap. Aang begins to pet Momo's ears when (Y/N) crouches down besides him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. 

~~

Aang still sat sadly looking at the burnt ground in front of him, head unconsciously leaning against (Y/N)'s shoulder as she relaxed besides him, drawing little shapes in the dirt.

"Hey Aang! Are you ready to be cheered up?" Katara asks, a smile on her face.

"No." Came Aang's short reply, not even caring to look in her direction. He let out a pained "Ow!" once the acorn Katara threw at him hit him in the head. 

"Hey how is that cheering me up?" Aang asks, hand cradling his head.

Sokka chuckles before saying, "cheered me up," which Katara retaliated by throwing an acorn at his head too. "Yeah. I probably deserve that."