Chapter 13: The Storm

(Y/N)'s POV

I awoke with a startle, Momo had pounced on me, and according to the looks on everyone else's faces, they had experienced the same. 

Sokka grabbed two boomerangs instinctively, looking drowsy and tired. "Huh! What's going on? Did we get captured again?"

"It's nothing. I just had a bad dream." Aang says offhandedly. "Go back to sleep."

"You don't have to tell me twice." Sokka rolls over and Katara thumps her head back onto her pillow.

Brushing the stray hairs out of my eyes, I turn to Aang. "Are you alright?" I ask gently.

"I'm okay."

"You've been having a lot of nightmares recently," I start. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I think I just need some rest." He turns away from me, resting his head on his arm.

I hesitate before placing my hand on him arm, only to pull it away swiftly when Sokka interrupts. 

"You guys want to hear about my dream?" After sending him a look, he backtracks. "That's okay, I didn't want to talk about it anyway."

~~

It's morning now, and I breathe in the smell of the water before us. Katara is packing up our campsite, and Aang is prepping Appa for travel.

"Look at those clear skies, buddy! Should be some smooth flying." he glances up at the migrating birds- I can't tell what type they are, I was never very good at identifying birds or fish that I don't see on the daily.

"Well, we better smoothly fly ourselves to a market because we're out of food." Katara mentions after looking in our sacks. I hand her the last bedroll and walk up Appa's tail.

"Guys wait- this was in my dream!" Sokka interjects, "We shouldn't go to market."

"What happened in your dream?" I ask as I fasten the bedroll to Appa's saddle.

"Food eats people! Also, Momo could talk! You said some very unkind things." Momo's ears droop at that comment.

~~

"Ah, it's good- it's perfect, I'm telling you!" A women yells at Katara and I as we look through the watermelons. 

I shake it. "I don't know if I like the sound of that swishing." Katara says to her.

"Swishing means it's ripe! It's the ripe juices swishing around, huh?"

"I think it's true Katara, swishing means it's ripe." Aang says walking up behind me.

"I don't think that how it works, Aang." I look up at him, but he adverts his eyes from mine.

Katara puts the fruit back, "I just realized we're out of money, anyway." We begin to walk away, but the women grabs the basket of apples that Sokka was carrying and, quite literally, kicks him in the butt as he walks away.

~~

"Out of food and out of money- now what are we supposed to do?" Sokka rubs his behind.

"You could get a job, smart guy." 

"You shouldn't go out there! Please, the fish can wait." We hear a woman and man arguing from behind us, and I turn to look with the rest of the group. "There is going to be a terrible storm!"

"Aw, you're crazy. It's a nice day." The man gestures to the sky, "No clouds, no wind, no nothing. So quit your nagging, woman."

"Maybe we should find some shelter?" Aang's voice is small, meek even. I've never heard him this way before and to be honest it worries me.