Chapter 18: The Northern Air Temple

"So, travelers, the next time you think you hear a strange large bird talking, take a closer look. It might not be a giant parrot, but a flying man- a member of the secret group of Airwalkers who laugh at gravity and laugh at those bound to the earth by it!"

Aang grins over at (Y/N), glancing briefly at her sibling then focusing back on her. "Aren't Airbender stories the best?"

"Was it realistic? Is that how it was back then?" Katara asks

"I laugh at gravity all the time. Haha! Gravity." At Aangs laugh, (Y/N) smiles.

Aangs eyes connect with hers, but what could have been a moment was interrupted by the old man who had told the story. "Jingle, jingle." Sokka ruffles around his clothes, only coming up with a bug and some crumbs. "Sorry..."

"Aw, cheapskates." The man walks away and Aang follows enthusiastically.

"Hey, thanks for the story!"

"Tell it to the cap, boy." At the mans shaking of his hat, a coin drops out of it without his knowledge. Momo picks up the coin and gives it back as Aang searches his own clothes for any spare change. "Much obliged, little bat thing."

"It means a lot to hear Airbender stories. It must have been a hundred years ago your great grandpa met them."
"What are you prattling about child?" The man asks incredulously. "Great-grandpappy saw the Airwalkers last week!"

~~

"We're almost to the Northern Air Temple! This is where they held the championships for Sky Bison Polo." (Y/N) craws to the front of Appa's saddle while her sister goes towards Sokka. (Y/N) can briefly hear the conversation between her siblings but turns her focus to Aang, climbing to sit next to him.

"Are you excited?" (Y/N) tugs on Aangs sleeve, and he turns to look at her. "There could be a whole community of Airbenders!"

"I hope there is." Aang answers softly. He looks forward, eyes widening. "Hey guys, look at this!"

They approach the Northern Air Temple, and quickly notice the number of people seemingly flying around it.

(Y/N) gasps, gripping Aangs arm with excitement. Katara shouts from behind them, "They really are Airbenders!"

Aang tears his arm from (Y/N)s, bringing them to cross over his chest as he leans back, pout forming on his lips. "No, they're not."

"What do you mean they're not?" Sokka asks incredulously. "Those guys are flying!"

"Gliding maybe, but not flying. You can tell by the way they move- they're not Airbending. Those people have no spirit." Just as Aang says that, a boy flies over Appa quickly, chuckling loudly at the expressions made in response.

"I don't know, Aang. That kid seemed pretty spirited."

(Y/N) slaps her sisters arm lightly. "That's not what he meant and you know it! Anyone would be thrilled to be flyi- gliding."

The mystery boy looks back at the group, connecting eyes with (Y/N) then Aang, who gives a competitive grin and flys off of Appa in seconds. Once Aang leaves, Appa becomes swarmed with similar gliding people on all sides. The siblings fall back, with Sokka saying, "We'd better find some solid ground before it finds us." At that (Y/N) takes Appas reigns, flying all down to a courtyard in the Temple.

(Y/N) lands Appa safely on temple grounds, watching as Aang flies around in the sky with the boy. They leave sight for a moment, coming back when the boy draws Aangs face with the pollution coming from his glider. Aang lands swiftly, much unlike the boy who has to turn harshly to get his glider to stop. Several people come and remove the wings from his wheelchair. He's cute, (Y/N) muses to herself. He has brown hair with long fringe, olive eyes, and a grin that is reminiscent of the 12 year old prodigy beside her. The boy, upon seeing Aang fully, gasps. "Hey, you're a real Airbender! You must be the Avatar. That's amazing! I- I've heard stories about you."