Chapter 20: The Siege of the North, Part 2

"This is important information, Aang." Gyatso peers down at him. "You'll need it one day."

Aang groans, heading banging on the large book in front of him. "But this is boring. When am I ever going to need to know this? Besides, we've been over it like five times." The boy whines, bringing his head up to look at his mentor.

Gyatso shakes his head, sitting in front of the young boy. "You might be surprised, it could help you in the future. It is important to understand the relationship between the spirits and the Cytherea." Noting the expression on the boys face, Gyatso continues. "But I'll strike you a deal. How about after you read this chapter, we go make pies and throw them at people?"

At that the boy perks up excitedly, agreeing and returning to the passage he was reading before. He's read it before, so he doesn't care to truly read the words, rushing to go make pies and have some fun before the day is over.

'... The Cytherea bond was created for balance and connection, a major tie for the Avatar to the physical world. The Cytherea was not born of human means, its life force being a gift from one of the oldest spirits, Tui, to the world. Make no mistake, the Cytherea is still human despite the life force being supplied by Tui. But the Cytherea has a connection unlike any other to the moon and the ocean, due to this gift, and often favours waterbending even when it is not the element the Cytherea is born into. The moon empowers the Cytherea, and regardless of the element, the Cytherea's bending will always be more powerful at night, when the moon is most visible. This bond, as far as we know, has yet to be fully explored. There is no telling at the point in which this book is being written how far this connection spans ...'

~~

The two koi circle each other as Katara speaks. "I can't believe I lost him."

"You did everything you could. And now we need to do everything we can to get him back. Zuko can't have gotten far. We'll find him. Aang's going to be fine." Katara looks up at her brother, eyes watering.

"Okay." She stands. (Y/N) is still, arms encircled around herself, eyes wide and mind racing with possibilities. Momo sits at her feet, lost with Aang.

Her brother guides her onto Appa's saddle, seeming to know that she needs help in this moment. "It's alright, you stay here Momo. In case Aang comes back." Katara says, sitting next to her sister and Princess Yue.

"Yip-yip," Appa flies off, Sokka holding the reins in his hands. They fly for some time before landing, no tracks or anything of the sort to be found to help them on their search. Sokka looks up at the saddle from his spot in the snow, sharing a helpless look with his sisters.

~~

Aang enters the cover, face passive. He recalls Roku's words, 'Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.'

As he walks down the dark stairs, he calls out to the void. "Hello? I'm looking for a spirit named Koh." Aang drops his expression as soon as he heard a scuttling, a creature moving impossibly fast to catch his face, ending up mere inches away.

"Welcome." The spirit says, voice hauntingly deep. The face doesn't match the body, painted with whites and reds, whilst the body of the spirit seems more insect than human.

Always polite, Aang bows, fists pushed together in a sign of respect. "Thank you."

"My old friend, the Avatar," the spirit moves behind him. "It's been a long time."

"You know me?"

"How could I forget you? One of your previous incarnations tried to slay me, maybe eight hundred or nine hundred years ago." Koh slivers in front of him quickly, a new face on his body.