Chapter 12: The Great Divide

(Y/N)'s POV

I watch in amusement as Sokka struggles to put the tent up. "Um, aren't you forgetting the tarp?"

"Right, got it." Sokka throws the tarp in the tent as I snort in amusement, placing the sticks I gathered down.

"Sokka, you're supposed to put the tarp on top of the tent. You know, so we don't get rained on?"

"Ordinarily you'd be right, but seeing how it's the dry season, you're not. Besides that tarp makes a pretty warm blanket."

"But what if it does rain?"

"But what if it doesn't? Then I would have put up the tarp for nothing."

Katara groans and stomps her foot. "You're infuriating!"

"Are you guys done arguing yet?" I ask.

"Katara why don't you worry about gathering the firewood? Because that kindling's looking pretty sorry."

"Well if you don't like my firewood-" She throws the sticks in his face. 

"Fine by me! If you're not gonna do your job-" He tears down the poorly made tent and I facepalm.

"Ok, I got the grub if you got the-"Aang stops himself, seeing strewn fireworks and tent laying on the ground. "Hey where the camp fire? And what happened to the tent?"

"Why don't you ask miss know-it-all, queen of the twigs?"

"Oh yeah? Well your Mr. Lazy Bum, king of the..." She picks up a stick and throws it at his head. "tent!" 

"As you can see, they got into an argument." I gesture to mess around me.

"Ok, listen guys, harsh words won't solve problems. Action will. Why don't you just switch jobs?"

"Sounds good."

"Whatever."

"You see that?" Aang looks at me. "Settling feuds and making peace. All in a days work for the Avatar." Looking over, Aang notices that Momo is trying to take a watermelon from Appa. Once Momo gives up, Appa puts it in his mouth just for Momo to take it. In return, Aang takes the watermelon from Momo, and slices it into a big piece for Appa and a little one for Momo. "C'mon Momo, that's fair. Appa's got five stomachs!"

~~

"There it is guys, the great divide."

"Wow, I could just stare at it forever." Katara says, and I nod in agreement.

"Okay. I've seen enough."

"How can you not be fascinated, Sokka? This is the largest canyon is the world." Katara asks.

"Did you even see the scenery? It's gorgeous." I say.

"Then I'm sure we'll be able to see it very clearly while we fly away."

An unknown man runs up to us, "Hey! If you're looking for the canyon guide, I was here first!"\

"Ooh, canyon guide. Sounds informative."

"Believe me, he's more than a tour guide. He's an earth bender, and the only way in and out of this canyon is with his help!"

"That's nice, but how does this concern us?" I ask, raising a brow.

"He's taking my tribe across next!" The man says aggressively.

"Calm down. We know you're next."

"You wouldn't be calm if the Fire Nation destroyed your home and forced you to flee! My whole tribe has to walk thousands of miles to the capital city of Ba Sing Se."