CH. 3

-

Song Rec. - The Chain by Fleetwood Mac

-

Once the plane landed, Lemar and I were escorted off of the hangar and into a government-issued vehicle.

The bright sun heated the air just as it was rising, quickly awakening all of D.C.

As I sat there looking out at the city, cars surrounding our own as they disperse quickly from the sirens of a police car ahead, I find a moment to wonder in my own thoughts.

Perhaps it was the resurfacing memories or the event to come, but my breaths began to shorten, leaving little to no air within my head as I quickly breathed in.

"Hey, you sure you're okay?"

His question fades in my head as I feel heat overcoming my body. I clench my fists to calm myself, placing my head on the window and closing my eyes.

"Something wrong with your powers?" He asks as soon as he sees me visibly calm down.

I let out a huff, "I don't know, it started acting up last night after I met this guy outside of the bar."

Opening my eyes I see his look of concern.

"I think I'll go see John and then sit out the ceremony. I don't know if I want all the cameras on me." I wipe my palms on my pants before swiping a strand of hair away from my face.

"Well, John will understand if you tell him about-"

"No!" I interject, "I don't need him worrying about me, it's about him today."

"Well he's your friend, so it's not bad for him to worry. You know I can't help but to worry about you." 

I place my hand over his own on his leg, giving him a small smile.

"You don't have to worry about me, but thank you." He returns a smile and places his other hand over ours, giving it a small squeeze.

He looks out the window as we pull up to the hall, news vans and people crowding the stairs. He looks back my way, eyebrows raised.

"Well then here we go sparkles."

I let out a small sigh before pulling my hands from his.

"Alright come on BS," I say jokingly, grabbing my purse and exiting the vehicle after him.

The official leads us into the hall, three more arriving to protect us from the desperate news people. As we step into the hall they quickly shut the doors and we continue through to the doors which held John and the Secretary of State.

"There's the golden boy!" Lemar's mouth stretched into a wide smile as he greets John with a hug.

John slaps him on the back, returning the smile. "Hey man." After the exchange he looks over at me, "there's my girl!"

"Hey John, how's it going?" I say, giving him a full hug and a smile.

"Taking on the title of Captain America on national tv, with the possibility of not being accepted." He says with a nonchalant smile, "I guess I'm doing great!" He chuckles slightly, the nerves obvious.

"Well you'll do great. I'm proud of you John, I know you've worked a long way to get here." I say, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Let's just hope it's enough." He replies, looking down for a moment.

An agent walks through the doors holding a black bag.

"Looks like it's time to change. Wait here?" He looks over to the two of us before taking the bag and exiting to the separate room.