CH. 40

-

Song Rec. -  As The World Falls Down by David Bowie

-

The pain in my shoulder was finally going away, a slight soreness still there as I stood up.

Looking around I realized I transported myself to my room, empty, and honestly a little too vacant than usual.

As I walked around the side of the bed, I found a blanket and pillow on the ground.

Bucky.

His bag was on the side of the bed, a small stack of clothes piling within it as nothing seemed organized.

"Bucky?" I called out, looking around, checking in the bathroom, walking through the hall and down the stairs. "Bucky you there?" I try again, finding the living room empty as well.

My heart began to race as I continued to look around, checking the back hall, the bathroom, still finding no one.

I walk over to the front door, opening it and turning to the side of the door, opening the mailbox.

As my hand swept in it I found no mail. It was entirely empty.

Looking around at the outside, the air bit harder at my skin, the grass entirely dead as small piles of snow sat in the corners of the concrete.

I stepped back inside the townhome, staring at the snow as I brought my hand back, closing the door in front of my face.

"That doesn't seem right." I say aloud, slowly turning away from the door as I find myself confused once again.

Walking into the empty kitchen, I felt a buzz come from my phone until it just kept coming as if I was getting message after message.

I take it out of my pocket, my eyes wide as I see message after message come in, followed by notifications of missed calls, alerts, and emails.

I tapped on a chunk of messages, seeing some from Sam, and some from John.

"Elena where are you?"

"Where'd you go?"

"Elena I'm worried about you."

"Just call me if you get this."

"Elena I know I've done wrong but come on I can't lose both you and Lemar."

As I scrolled those ones away, I found a single message.

It was from Bucky.

I tap on it, the text enlarging in such a small statement, the words sinking my heart as I read it.

"I'll wait for you, always. Just please come back." 

My thumbs immediately began to type away, my eyes catching onto something below the message box.

The time on it.

It's been two months.

My mind began jumbling up.

How the hell is that possible?

I thought back to the day that Karli took me, then when I came back to consciousness in the midst of the fight, then finally when I brought myself to the '40s.

It all happened in a matter of a single day, leading into the night but I'd be less taken back if it were only a day later.

I felt my chest caving in as I made my way over to the kitchen table.

Yanking the chair out from under it, I slump into it, putting the phone down on the table as I held my hand to my head.

I manipulated time.

Not only did I take myself to a past time, but I was seemingly gone for longer than I wanted to be.

As if I was basically erasing myself from the present.

My hand came to my mouth, the blood drawing from my face as I thought of Bucky.

He probably thinks I'm dead.

He's been here, waiting for me to return.

No, maybe he's given up already, and just abandoned his stuff out of the sickness of loss.

I promised him I'd come back, and at this point, I know he thinks I've broken it.

"Elena Summers."

The sudden voice had me jump in my chair, my hands going up in defense as I found a strange man standing in the middle of my kitchen.

"Who the hell are you?" I ask, standing from the chair and stepping back, causing it to screech on the floor below.

"Come with me. We have matters to discuss." His voice was monotonous, unphased by the energy coming from the tips of my fingers.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me who you are and how you got here," I reply sternly, readying myself for a fight against the weirdly dressed man.

He didn't bring on a fight though, instead, he brought his own hands up, holding one back and the other forward as it motioned in a circle, sparkling gold energy forming in the air.

"What the-"

Then it opens.

A portal, like mine, but instead of blue energy spirals, it was gold sparks hissing in motion.

My mouth drops open as I look through the portal, seeing a set of mahogany stairs.

I look back over at the man, my hands dropping down as he looked at me seriously.

"I'm Dr. Stephen Strange. We have to talk about your recent travels."