CH. 10

-

Song Rec. - Blue Velvet by Bobby Vinton

-

Fading into the dream I feel my body encased into someone else's, her thoughts my own as I stand looking in the mirror of a vintage version of myself. I allow my present mind to sleep as I fade into her thoughts.

~

I stare down at my dress, brushing at the dark blue fabric to ensure no wrinkles.

With my curls laying over my shoulders, pinned back with two clips, I give them a quick swipe and nod in the mirror.

"There," I say, and walk to the front hall.

As if on cue, the doorbell rings.

My heart immediately flutters as I open it to find a fine sight before me.

"Good evening darlin', got a date?"

"It seems I do. He's a handsome fellow." I smile at him as he greets me with a kiss on my cheek, slightly bending over with his height.

"Well, he's a lucky guy." His eyes trail up and down my body as he smirks charmingly.

"Jimmy Stanton. We ought to get going if we plan to make it to the convention on time." I say smiling, ignoring his sigh and grabbing my purse from the hook to the right of the door. "I heard Mr. Stark has quite the presentation tonight."

Walking past him, he closes the door and locks it with my key in his hand.

"That Stark guy is a schmuck. Couldn't find much interest to me."

The comment came as no surprise as Jimmy disliked my appeal to Stark. Maybe it was the glitzy life he lived or the attraction from women, but he truly did hate Howard Stark.

I found his inventions to be quite interesting.

His charm never worked into my head on paper, however, it felt like Jimmy's main concern.

I turn as he walks down the steps.

"He's a fine inventor, but not a finer gentleman than you." I reassure him with a smile and grab ahold of his hand, placing my other hand on his cheek and kissing him softly on his lips.

His eyes glaze over as he smiles within our kiss.

"Oh, you're too good for me." His lips find mine again and I close my eyes, engulfed in his woody aroma from his day of carpentry.

He pulls back and starts walking.

"We should get going. Don't wanna miss your convention." He grins and pulls my hand as we begin our short walk to the convention.

We pass small shops, signs plastered on the windows to buy war bonds, enlist in the army, and 'kill the Nazis'.

Most were closed due to a shortage of supplies, but the one that was open was my favorite.

It was Mr. Milagnos's bar and café.

It ran until the late evening, Mr. Milagno stood behind the counter serving beers and pastries to couples.

"Could we get a drink first?" I grab ahold of Jimmy's arm as I look up at him, flashing him a smile as to convince him anymore.

He sighs and then smiles, "of course darlin'." He rolls his eyes before smiling once more.