CH. 14

-

Song Rec. - Nothing Can Change This Love by Sam Cooke

-

Zemo smugly gestures to a hall on our right, unzipping his stolen guard uniform to reveal his normal clothes.

"After you," Sam says to Zemo with a conspicuous look, following directly behind Zemo as he succumbed to Sam's order.

I look over at Bucky who's standing quite still, his gaze on me.

"What now?" I ask, dropping my hands to my sides as I hold my phone in my right hand.

Bucky looks down at the phone then back up at me.

"Who keeps calling you?" He says with a short tone.

I raise my eyebrows as I contemplate on telling him.

Sam and Bucky seemed to be at a terrible standing with the Flag Smashers.

The minimal possibility of an alliance with them could help our mission. If they were to get involved, I'd hope they'd be able to comply with their common interests as I am.

"No one."

His stare becomes meticulous at that, so I continue on.

"And why are you so worried about it? If Sam isn't then why should you be?"

"Sam is worried about it too."

I arch an eyebrow and cross my arms over my chest before he continues.

"You can't just erase what we had in the past." He steps a foot closer as he lowers his voice. "I'm still going to be worried about you even if you're angry with me."

My lips part to let out a held breath, feeling my cheeks warm as I recognize the level of comfort he radiates to me.

Stop it, not now.

I shake my head and finally break the stare.

"We should go catch up to them," I say with a small voice, walking forward as I interrupt the intense moment and the pressure of the question.

The heaviness in my chest lifted as I allowed my head to return back to Earth, pushing my feet to walk.

I hear a sigh come from behind me, followed by footsteps as Bucky walks alongside me. Keeping my sight straight ahead, I see Sam and Zemo not far ahead up the hall before they turn.

Bucky speaks up in a quiet voice. "Look I didn't mean to be so arrogant earlier."

I turn my head over at him for a moment as he looks down at the floor, both of us walking side by side as I look forward once more.

"I know you didn't."

I see his head turn in my direction from the side of my eye as I continue.

"It's just all so sudden and I didn't know how to react I guess." I turn my head to him, his cold blue eyes melting as he looks into my own, pulling back ahead as I do as well.

The two of us remained silent as we slowly caught up to Zemo and Sam.

When we finally turned the corner, we were met with a room full of a collection of cars.

Their aged dusted paint dimly shone on the square lights above them. As we walk, we pass a beautiful old blue car in a glass-paned box, protected from the hectic world around it as it still managed to collect a coat of dust.

Sam stood with his hands in his pockets, just behind a yellow automobile where Zemo was hunched over inside.

I step next to Sam and he looks over at me.