CH. 35

-

Song Rec. - Who's Lovin' You by The Jackson 5

-

The Louisiana breeze pushed the blades of grass across the extending yard, the trees around us making a shuffling noise, and the sounds of laughter and conversation filling the cool air as we walked down to the boat.

My eyes wandered around the pier as we made it onto the concrete, trying to find Sarah or the boys, our final destination taking us to a truck by the boat, large cargo tied up on the back of it.

Bucky let go of my hand, smiling at me as he looked over at Sam who was busy in conversation.

"Let me go give him a hand."

I take the case from him and give him an "okay" as he walks over to the truck, me following behind.

"So how do we get it off the truck?"

Sam's question is quickly answered as Bucky effortlessly picks it up off the truck, gripping the bottom and top as he turned around and put it down on the concrete.

"You're welcome," Bucky says shortly.

I snap my teeth as he turns and takes the case from my hands, tossing it down on the now-empty bed of the truck.

"Elena?"

A woman's voice comes from behind me, as I turn I find none other than Sarah, checkboard in hand as her face held a confused expression.

"Hey Sarah, it's good to see you."

We greet one another with a hug, feeling that sense of warmth radiate off of her as we embraced each other's missed company.

"Good to see you too, Elena." Her eyes peek over my shoulder to Bucky before she returns them back to me. "Is everything alright? I haven't seen you around in a bit."

The question was harmless, no doubt. Of course, as I considered answering I couldn't help but compare what things were like when I came around last time to now.

Lemar was alive.

John was still my best friend.

I hadn't met Bucky.

I had no clue of what I was or where I came from.

So at this point, I don't know if things were easier, or if I was just more oblivious to the complications I'm enduring now.

"Elena?" Sarah's hand wove in front of my face, my head shaking slightly to bring myself out of the trance of thought.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. Things have been different I suppose. How are the boys?"

A sudden hissing noise interrupts Sarah before she could answer, the two of us turning our heads as Sam rushed to the broken pipe on the boat.

I look over at Bucky who's dusting off his hand, "Bucky," my hand gestures to Sam, him quickly catching on as he complies and jumps on the boat to help.

"So who's that?" Sarah comes up to my right, replacing Bucky's spot as we watch him turn the wrench on the pipe.

"Uh, Bucky. Sam's friend and my..."

"Boyfriend?" She cuts in, an embarrassed smile coming on my face as I nod my head in agreement.

The title of it hit me like a truck, considering I never used it to describe what we were, just more that we were dating or that we did date in the past.

The hissing noise faded out as Bucky pulled the wrench off the pipe, tossing it on the crate next to him as both he and Sam were turned away from us.

Sam's head turns to Bucky, "Why didn't you use the metal arm?"