CH 8

-

Song Rec. - Tennessee Waltz by Patti Page

-

As I exit the station I round the corner to find John and Lemar in conversation.

"We got to go about it different man that's all I'm saying." Lemar looks up as I walk up to them. "Hey sparkles."

"Haha yeah we're not there yet." I say back coldly, leaning on the car in front of them with my arms crossed. "John why didn't you just tell me about your feelings before you went and announced it on live television."

John opens his mouth to reply then closes it, he looks around for a moment before speaking.

"I just-okay I was going to tell you before I went out there but you weren't there so when they asked I just said what was true." He scratched his head, looking down and kicking the sidewalk.

"I don't know how often you do this, but putting me on blast like that wasn't very romantic."

"Well you haven't exactly declined me yet so obviously it worked a bit right?"

I throw my head back and laugh, causing Lemar to look away and chuckle himself as John stood there naively.

I shake my head and look at John. "John as clever as you are. You really can't read a girl can you?"

He moves his head back suddenly, looking at me in shock.

"I mean I've been pissed with you for some time, and not only that but you got Lemar dragged into it. Its hard to accept something like that when its in the form of a bombardment."

I dust my pants off and look down from his stare.

This time Lemar speaks up.

"Hey look okay it was stupid." He hits John with the back of his hand, "but I think if we put that aside then we could really use your help Elena."

I tip my head back and stare back at him, contemplating.

"With which part?" I ask.

"Well Sam and Bucky seem to like you more than us, so talk to them. Get them to work with us."

I raise my eyebrows at his request.

I hadn't been around Bucky very long but I knew already that there was no convincing him, and I knew Sam enough to know he'd go along with Bucky in disliking them.

"I mean Bucky seems to like you a lot." John comments, receiving a puzzled look on my end until he continues. "You know, in the truck, he kept staring at you like a hawk."

I roll my eyes, as it seems to be a constant expression around John.

"He stares at everyone like that. And I'm not playing mediator in this, it seems a bit too personal for them for me to speak on their behalf."

"Just hear us out that we could all work together and get more done." John looks over at the building and rushes to the police vehicle next to him, sounding the siren for a second.

"Gentlemen!"

I turn around to find Bucky and Sam walking over tiredly.

"Good to see you again. Look if we divide ourselves we don't stand a chance, you guys know that."

Sam looks over at me for a second and I hold my hands up innocently.

He looks back at John, "so what do you got?"

John rests his hand on the belt of the uniform before speaking.

"Well the leader's name is Karli Morganthau, we've been targeting civilians who've been helping Karli move from place to place." John looks over at me and I nod for them to continue.