What comes next?

💗

Two hours have gone by and I've managed to make it back to the hospital to spend the remaining hours with my family as we wait for my Mother to get out of surgery.

I sit next to my father, holding his hand in mine and resting my head on his shoulder. My sister sits across from us with her husband, and my other two brothers sit on either side of me and Dad with their wives. If you couldn't tell I'm the only single one.

Basically, I'm the odd one out. I'm the youngest, I share a different father from them, and I am the only person who has yet to get married in their twenties. And I do not intend on it. My Mom and Dad are my best friends and until I find a man that can top them, they are all I need.

After another set of hours, Dr. Fate comes to the area where we currently wait. His eyes fall to me and I avoid his gaze.

"The surgery went well." He clears his throat and runs his fingers through his hair. "You can see her, she hasn't woken up yet, but she should as soon as the anesthesia wears off."

With those words confirmed to us he walks off, scrubbing his face in a tired fashion.

We go to Mom's room to find her sleeping peacefully. It doesn't take long for the anesthesia to wear off and minutes later Dr. Fate is back in the room. He does a few tests to ensure that she is fully responsive with all her senses and abilities working fine. I zone out as Dr. Fate tells my family he was able to remove all of the tumor and all the medical stuff behind it. Then he tells us that she should recover fine and it is pertinent that she gets a lot of rest.

My family hugs him. I only move next to my Mom and place a quick kiss to her forehead. She smiles up at me and when I turn back to the doctor, he is watching me intently. With nothing but a nod he walks out of the room.

That feeling I had when I first met him surges through me and forces me to follow him out. He leans against the wall and the smug look on his face pisses me off and almost tempts me to walk back into my mother's room. Instead I take his outstretched hand and let him pull me to a private on-call room. I give into this man too easily.

Stepping into the room, he turns on the light and I can see the obvious exhaustion on his face. Nervously, I fiddle with my fingers watching him as he watches me.

"I just want to stay thank you."

"Just doing my job," he sighs, sitting down onto the bed.

I step in between his legs. "I'm sorry about how I acted this morning."

He only scoffs and shakes his head at me as if what I just said was completely ridiculous. Then he looks up at me and his blue eyes are no longer like the warm waters of Fiji but closer to the cold waters of Antarctica.

"You want me now that you know I'm a wealthy doctor?"

Wow, so much for my humble impression of him. Conceited ass. "I don't care who you are. I was aware of your status when I saw you in your well tailored suit in a hotel bar." It wasn't hard to tell, this man stood out like a sore thumb.

Leaning into his personal space, I cup his cheek and run my thumb over his bottom lips. "I don't want you. I was trying to apologize because you "did your job" and possibly saved my mother. But I guess it doesn't even matter now."

Just as I make it to the door, he grabs my waist and turns me around, slamming his lips against mine, consuming me in a heated kiss that makes body tingle. My body responds instantly as he pushes me up against the wall and slips his hands under my shirt to the waistband of my jeans. He unbuckles the button as I tug at his scrubs. I guess he isn't that exhausted.

His soft, plump lips trace over my jaw and down my neck. "I couldn't get you out of my head," he grunts taking my hands that are gripping his scrubs and slipping them under, giving me free access to his tight abs.

I nonverbally agree with that statement by bringing my leg up and wrapping it around his waist. Lost in a haze, my eyes roll back as he kisses the perfect spot.

Out of nowhere he shoves me back and pins me against the wall. "Number," he grits out between his teeth.

Laughing, I push him off and step away from him. That still will not be happening. He asked for a name or a number. He got a name. That's all he's going to get.

With one last glance over the doctor, I turn the knob on the door and walk out, waiting again for my regret to set in.

Returning to my mother's room I sit with my family for a while before I have to go to my new second job for training. One day I'll quit this new job, but right now I will just work until I've satisfied my monetary needs. Hopefully it doesn't take long.

I probably should just allow my parents to pay for all my stuff, but as I watch them together, I convince myself that I actually made the right choice in getting this second job. I guess we will find out soon.