Aria

Lana💗

Sunday morning, I return to the return to the hospital dressed in a white off the shoulder dress that my little friend picked out. Last week I FaceTimed her and together we went through my closet until she found a dress that she wanted me to wear. This dress, was chosen. She paired it with clear heels and a nude purse all from my closet.

I let a 7 year old, aspiring to be a fashion designer, dress me. How could you say no to a kid with brain cancer? It's the most impossible thing to do. Especially when today she gets her tumor removed.

Walking down the hall with the giant present in my hand, I walk to Aria's room and knock twice before stepping into the open doors. I poke my head from behind her present and greet the beautiful little girl laying in the bed.

"Lana." She exclaims excitedly.

I smile and set the present into an empty seat than greet my favorite little girl. "Hey kid. Hey Magnolia and Ken."

They greet me back and I sit down on the bed next to Aria. "I found this giant bear just sitting outside of your door."

She laughs and thanks me for it before deciding to name him Benjamin. With another glance at the bear I agree that Benjamin suits the huge brown bear.

"You wore the outfit," she sighs playing with the material of my dress.

Shrugging, I casually look around the decorated room. "Of course I did, it's a big day. They can finally remove the tumor."

"Thank you for wearing it. The doctor will love it."

I pause, my attention shifting back to her. I ask her to repeat what she just said to make sure I didn't hear it wrong. I didn't.

She giggles and looks at her parents. "The doctor is really handsome."

I turn to her parents and lift a brow in silent question. I've known her parents for a while. Magnolia, Ken and I went to college together, kind of. She was working on her masters while I completed my undergrad. She's about 5 years older than me. Her and Ken got pregnant with Aria their senior year of college. I met them when I picked up a 'babysitter needed' paper on the school bulletin. We've been friends since.

Magnolia smiles at me and shrugs. "He is a decent looking man. I think he would be good for you."

If it's the man I think it is, then he thinks so too. And so does my Mom and now my friends. Good to know everyone approves.

Turning back to Aria, I shake my head at her set up attempt. It's kind of too late kid, I want to say, but instead I just change the subject to the reason we are here.

"Are you excited? Nervous? Indifferent?" I ask, trying to understand what she's feeling.

When her face falls, I think I know. But then she says something that makes my heart break. "If I don't make it, you will watch after Mommy and Daddy and Benjamin?"

Tears slip down her cheeks and I swallow my own tears as I glance at her parents. What do I say to this?

Gently I take Aria's hands and hold them in mine. "Sweetie, I can't do that, because you are going to make it. You're going to get better and grow up and become a fashion designer and I will be the first person to buy one of your designs."

I wipe her tears and place a soft kiss to her forehead. "We say positive things and we get positive things, right?"

She nods and I kiss her cheek again, pulling her into a hug. "You've made it this far, kid, don't give up now."

She holds me back and I let the tears slip out. For moments we sit like this until a knock comes to the door and Ashton enters with a group of surgical staff.