CH. 45

────────────────────

ry x - only
↹    ⇤      ►      ⇥    ↺

WHEN HIS EYES OPENED, he saw himself standing at the park. The sky was painted in hues of orange and the crescent of the moon vivid within the color as the sun slowly descends behind the horizon. A beautiful sunset he wishes to see with you.

Leaves rustled by his feet, the hollow wind breezed against his skin and the sound of footsteps in one direction resonates the air. But he doesn't turn immediately.

"Eren!" your voice chimes happily in his ears and he turns in that direction, watching you trot to him with your usual smile. "Hey, wait for me!"

It was like a dream.

Eren's hand reach out to you, like he was ready for a hug.

But he watches you run right past him.

And his gaze follows you. You were running to the other Eren, the one who was still happy all those months ago, genuinely smiling and laughing, not worried about a single damn thing.

"Where should we go today, darling?" Eren hears himself say to you as you both intertwine your hands. Smiling at his words, you reply, "anywhere you want to go, as long as I get to be with you."

"But I picked last time."

"Well then, pick again."

Your old short bickers during dates were replaying in his head and he could feel himself actually smiling, remembering it all. But it fades shortly after.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, he wanted to cry out.

Imagining you losing that smile on your face haunted him. But also seeing himself losing it, pained too.