Lunch

(Trigger Warning, there will be talk of drunk driving, death, depression, and possibly other themes in this chapter. If that's something that might affect you and your mental health please skip this chapter. It is up to your discretion weather or not you read it, I just want you to be prepared for it.)

Antonio and CK get started on lunch, the two chefs chatting cheerfully as they work. Antonio gives Zack easy jobs to help while Ivy sits at the island offering her own help by making juice. Player and Jean-Paul are just hanging out watching.

"Hey it's Saturday morning's when we were kids." Ivy says. Zack laughs.

"Yeah, mom and dad cooking a big meal while giving us easy jobs to stay out of the way." Zack says. Antonio glances over at the pair.

"I don't believe your parents have been mentioned in the show." Antonio says.

"Well they probably wouldn't be, mom and pops aren't around." Ivy says.

"I am sorry, if it's not too personal may I ask what happened to them?" Antonio asks.

"Well... we were all on our way home from a movie one night. Ivy and I were still kids, and we were parked at a red light." Zack starts the story.

"Some idiot decided to drive after drinking and ran the light, he hit us head on." Ivy says.

"Mom died before an ambulance got there, I think they said she died on impact. Dad, he held out for a few days." Zack says. He's shaking they recount the story.

"I'm sorry, you don't have to..." Antonio starts but he's interrupted.

"No it's fine. It's just, the only time we ever really talked about it was when we told Carmen and Player," Ivy explains, "Our dad died in the ICU about a week after the crash. Zack and I were on our own after that."

"We didn't have any family to go to, we spent years in the system fighting them any time they tried to split us up." Zack tells them.

"Once I turned 18, I took Zack and we left. It was almost a year after that we met Carmen, and you know what happened after that." Ivy says. It's quiet as Jean-Paul, CK and Antonio all absorb this new information. Player walks across the room and hugs Ivy, she smiles at the younger boy and hugs him back. Zack smiles when suddenly he's engulfed in a bone crushing hug.

"You are both so strong." Antonio says crying. Zack just chuckles and pats that Spaniards arm.

"Amour I think you are making him uncomfortable." Jean-Paul says. Antonio jumps back apologizing.

"Aw no worries, we're just not big on mushy emotions." Zack says waving it off.

"I get that talking about feelings can be rough, but do you really never talk about it?" Player asks.

"When we first went into foster care they set us up with a therapist to try and work through things. The thing is, that guy didn't try to establish any kind of trust or back and forth." Ivy says.

"What do you mean?" Jean-Paul asks.

"He tried to force things. He got aggressively and annoyed when we wouldn't spill our guts to him." Zack says.

"Confronting your past is associated with these negative interactions, now instead of talking about your feelings you cover with humor." Antonio says. Everyone turns to stare at him.

"Dude where did that psycho babble come from?" Player asks.

"I did some extra lessons with Maelstrom at the academy. Say what you will about him but he knows what he's talking about when it comes to psychology." Antonio explains.

"Well, as fun as this was we don't have long for lunch so can the therapy session wait until after we finish this whole shebang?" Ivy asks.

Everyone makes a mental note to help Zack and Ivy see a proper therapist when this is over before finishing lunch prep.

The tension in the room eases when CK calls for everyone to eat.

"Wow this looks amazing. Good work guys." Carmen says grabbing a plate.

"Made with love, sweat and emotional trauma." Player says. Zack and Ivy snort into their juice.

"Player you can't say that!" Ivy says laughing.

"I'm sorry what?" Carmen asks confused.

"We were talking about our past." Zack says waving it off.

"Player!" Carmen says chastizing him. Played just shrubs and grabs his own food.

"Anyone else want to get their tragic back stories out of the way?" Player asks as he sits.

"I mean we all have pretty similar stories. Orphaned young, took to thievery to survive. Catch the eye of VILE." Sheena says.

"I still have a sister in Spain, the last time I checked in on her she was in the process of being adopted by a very nice couple." Antonio says.

"You have living family?" Gray asks.

"Yes, I can not approach her while VILE is still in tact. I will not put Marisol in the cross hairs." Antonio says firmly. Jean-Paul takes his hand.

"You will be able to reunite with her one day amoure." He tells him. The two share a chaste kiss.

"We're really getting all the emotional stuff out now aren't we?" Sheena asks scoffing.

"Coming from the girl with no emotions." Gray says.

"Yeah well, emotions are a liability in the streets." She shrugs.

"You were a street kid?" Kyle asks.

"Just another foster kid that slipped through the cracks. Foster dad kicked me out when he caught me kissing another girl when I was thirteen. Looked after myself every since." She says nonchalantly.

"Welcome to the club." Jean-Paul says.

Lupe wants to drag all of them into a hug and never let them go. They all had to grow up so fast, they never got to enjoy being children. Lupe decides in that moment that she will give these young people a chance to enjoy life however she can.

Unknowingly CK is coming to the same conclusion as her. The two older adults having mentally adopted the whole lot of them look at each other and nod in silent agreement.

As lunch time ends the door opens. Gray gets up and stretches.

"Well now that we got all the mushy stuff out of the way, let's see what Sera has in store to traumatise us even further." He says. Carmen slaps him upside the head.

"Don't joke about that, besides how bad can it be? I don't see how it could get worse then what happened in Stolkholm." Carmen says.