The Chasing Paper Caper

Theme song plays.

Maelstrom: Esteemed fellow VILE faculty. As you know, I, Gunnar Maelstrom, have been called demented, deranged, psychotic even. Justifiably? Perhaps. But I feel these are merely labels. Safe ways to categorize my unique intellect, which enables me to see opportunity where others do not. So allow me to draw your attention to this: the very foundation of law and order in the Western world.

"Uh...." There's snickering at the picture on screen.

Brunt: Looks more like a lion cub sniffing its own tail if you ask me.

Maelstrom: Uh, wrong slide. This. The Magna Carta!

"I feel like we say this every episode but I'll be the one to say it this time, this can not be good." Player says.

Brunt: You're saying words I don't understand.

Maelstrom: Ugh. Coach Brunt, I suspect you are familiar with the US Constitution?

Brunt: Darn right. I'm Texas proud.

"Never would of guessed." Chase says.

Maelstrom: Think of the Magna Carta as the British version of it, written more than 500 years earlier. And for the first time in history, every known original copy of this historic document, all 17 of them, will be on display under one roof. Here, at this renowned museum, in Mumbai, India. Which means we have an opportunity to steal it in the name of law and disorder.

"What could they possibly gain from stealing the Magna Carta?" Julia asks.

"Maelstrom is generally satisfied with causing chaos, doesn't matter if there's an end goal." Shadowsan says.

Shadowsan: Would I be correct in assuming that you have a particular operative in mind for this misdeed, Professor?

Maelstrom: The crime involves stealing paper, does it not?

Shadowsan: She is far from ready.

"She is undisciplined and not in a good way." Shadowsan say glancing over at Carmen.

Maelstrom: Questioning my sanity after my compelling intro, dear Shadowsan?

Shadowsan: Carmen Sandiego was unruly and undisciplined when she was a student here, and your newest star pupil is cut from the same cloth.

"Nah, Paper Star is way crazier." Gray says.

Maelstrom: Shall we vote? All in favor.

All others raise their hands.

Shadowsan: Hmph.

"You get out voted a lot don't you?" Ivy asks. Shadowsan neglects to answer.

Player: You sure about this, Red? I'm not picking up chatter about VILE operatives in India from any of our usual sources.

Carmen: They'll be here. I know how Professor Maelstrom's twisted mind works, and he'd never pass up an opportunity like this. Stealing the Magna Carta would be VILE's way of symbolizing that evil can triumph over law and order. At least, that's what they'd tell themselves.

"Or they just like causing general chaos." Zack says.

Player: I think I see what you mean. In the year 1215, England was ruled by some guy named John. And if he were alive today, he'd probably feel right at home on VILE Island with your former teachers. King John figured he could take anything he wanted just because he was in charge, and he abused that power constantly. The Archbishop of Canterbury stepped in and helped shape a set of laws that gave citizens rights. Basic stuff like you can't be arrested for no reason, or have your horse taken away from you just because the king wants it.