X

The Beginning Of A Terrible Nightmare.

All families were already present.
It was a private and important meeting and only the most trusted and important people were invited.

All the Vassals were there with their parents, General Abdulateef, Awwal, Salis (the man who oversees the royal court) and most importantly The Emperor.

They were all in the Caelian throne room.
"Thank you for having us" Queen Rukiya bows. As the one with the mark she's the Queen of Banjul Kingdom.

"You are all most welcome, your presence is most gratefully acknowledged, one and all. I have brought you together for a revelation most momentous, a secret which shall be unveiled before the people tomorrow, when the clock doth strike the hour of two. It is a matter of great import, and one which shall shape the course of our collective fate".

Huda kept glancing as did the others, eagerly waiting for the announcement to end so they can all meet after what felt like eternity.

"As you all know I am without heir"
Everyone nods.
"And as fate would have it all four kingdoms have their Vassals which bear the Genus Rosa" he smiles.

"Masoud from Ulan Bator and Najib from Durban" he calls out.
They both stand, nervous and curious.
"Upon one of you shall my legacy descend"

The whole room erupts in whispers.
They both stood in complete and utter shock. King Lateef and King Nurayn turn and look at each other, both smiling cockily.

"That's great news but you've only made mention of the boys, your highness" Queen Rukiya objects.

He chuckles softly "Both gentlewomen are still in the running, but the crown of kingship is a prize for masculine virtue, whereas the empress's station, by the whims of destiny, may be filled by either of these two."

Rukiya smiles turning to look at Huda with a smug smile "I doubt that will be a problem" the girls turns her head away intimidated.

The door opens and Hafiz walks in, all four Vassals just stare at him remembering him clearly.

He sits next to the General.
""General, utter a brief exhortation to our trusty vassals, that their spirits may be lifted?" The Emperor asks.

"Indeed" he stands "This is a momentous day, for we now see the direction our country will take, and who may next lead us. But let us not forget, dear friends, that this is not a competition about who excels in archery, sewing, or academic pursuits. It is about who is truly fit to rule. I see the smirks and glares around the room, and I urge you to remember that the selection of our next ruler will be made with careful consideration and a clear conscience. Let us proceed with wisdom and integrity, and avoid the pitfalls of petty rivalries and biases."
He turns to Hafiz "This is my son, Hafiz, and I have been informed that an initial assessment has already taken place, though the details of the test and its results remain unknown to us. Be assured, this is merely the first of many evaluations, and I caution you all to recall that these tests are designed to be impartial and resistant to interference, so let us conduct ourselves with honor and trust in the process." he turns back and sits.

Salis walks over and stands on the podium ""Listen well, all Vassals! You shall be escorted to the esteemed Caelian Palace, where you shall reside and become acquainted with the workings of our royal court. You shall be assigned personal attendants to assist you, and your daily schedules shall be provided. Remember, dear friends, that you have shared a long history of 14 years, and have formed bonds as strong as family ties. Let this closeness inspire mutual respect, and may your behavior towards one another be characterized by sincerity and courtesy, as befits a noble household."

The Empeoror, Uncle Salis and the General exit the room first.

Soon people start exiting one after another.

::

Since they arrived in the capital they've only been looking forward to seeing each other and now that they can they are hesitant. They know at this stage their family won't approve of them being as close as they were.

Huda sat between her mother and father. Her mother and other mothers waited while the meeting was taking place and now she wouldn't keep quiet about her daughter throwing her emotions aside to be Empress.

"I've known Raudah for 14years I can't just stop being friends and act like a total stranger towards her, that's not how it works"
Her father huffs "I don't care what nonsense your mother is saying but the only thing I'll say is for you to be careful with her, I know Rukiya and she can be merciless" he huffs "I'll be right back" he walks away.

Her mother smiles "That's why the others see him as a joke, he's too soft and unfortunately you took after him"

She turns to her looking very serious, "It's either you become Empress or I leave your father, you and I both know it won't be a good image for him if I do. The only reason I stayed with him was because I wanted to watch my child become the queen but since this opportunity has shown itself you'll be Empress. So use that as motivation to be better" she stands and walks out leaving her daughter stunned.

Divorce?

Raudah was in a frenzy of shock.
She was shocked and most importantly scared.

Her mother comes out of the hall and pulls her tightly, twisting her wrist in the process.
"Ah!"

"Shut up" her mother spits "Now listen to me, tradition might still have that sexist thinking that women can't rule the nation because of their emotions but that doesn't matter right now, I want you to crush that stupid weak girl, I want my daughter to be Empress of the republic".

She stares at her mother "Why did you tell me to?"
"Tell you to what?" She asks getting angry.

Apparently Raudah told her mother about the man she met who was in possession of the explained version of the book they'd be reading and her mother told her to approach him with an offer so when she saw Hafiz coming out of the throne room earlier before they had the meeting she made him an offer just like her mother told her to.

She stares at her daughter wide eyed "Why?!"
"You told me to"
"Maybe that's the test they were talking about" she huffs "Don't you worry, I have it under perfect control" she walks out.

Meanwhile Najib and Masoud sat side by side in the garden. Immediately after the meeting they ran off before their parents could corner them.

"So? That's how things will be now" Najib says worriedly.

"Yes"

He turns and looks at his friend "I hope you understand this now has to do with my family, my mother and I can't joke with it"

"I do and I hope you understand too"
He nods "How about we just sit here for a while. They say this isn't a rivalry but it's definitely not going to be friendship either".

Masoud smiles "Let's enjoy today before the games begin, I'll call the girls" he brings out his phone.

"No don't. I'm sure Huda is somewhere crying her eyes out at the moment and we all know how Raudah and her mother are, let's let them be for now"

He keeps his phone "Okay then".

Okayyyyy!

The real drama starts!
I hope you read this far now read further!!!