XXVII

When Amjad said we'd get to know each other I didn't think he'd be doing it in his room all day.

I look out the window as rain poured heavily.
I've been in this house for 4days without seeing the light of day, I've watched every movie I can think of and I'm sick and tired so I gathered the courage to confront my darling husband.

I knock on the door.
"Yes?"

I open it and find him lying down reading a book.
I walk in and partially close the door.

He turns and looks at me "What's going on?"
I pout "I'm tired of watching, eating and doing things alone"

He sits up looking at me confused "Why?"
"Because I've been doing the same thing for 4days and it's exhausting".

He nods "Okay but I thought you were enjoying yourself, and when I went to check up on you earlier I heard you laughing your guts out".

I blush "You went to check up on me?"
"Yes" he says like it's normal.

"Well it's sweet" I blurt out, sometimes I talk too much.
"Really? Okay then".

I sigh.
"So Huda what do you want to do?"
"Watch a movie with you"

He looks at me oddly "I read" he raises his book "But it's been a while since I watched".

"Then prepare to be rejuvenated" I wink.

He looks at me cautiously.

::

I gape at him.
When I suggested a movie I was imagining seating peacefully, eating something light and conversing about the movie every now and then but you know what I see now?

Amjad was watching Wrath Of Men and yes it's an action movie which I don't find so entertaining by the way.

It's his second action movie in the last three hours and he doesn't say a word when he watches, like at all.

"Aren't you tired?" I ask curiously.
He turns and looks at me smiling which I find a bit weird and unusual "I forget how much I love action and thrillers"

I'm not trying to be all lovely dovey with him but I want to live comfortably in my own home, so I don't have to walk on egg shells and I think this is just the best way, for us both.

"What about horror?" I ask.
"I don't watch horror movies"

I gasp "Why not? They're amazing"
"Because they're not real"

"And that is?" I ask pointing at the tv screen.
"Well yes, these things do happen but how can a doll kill people? How?"

"Wait! First of all I don't think Chucky counts as horror secondly please tell me that wasn't the last one you watched"

"Well if you google it you'd see the word 'Horror' written boldly and yes it's been so many years"

"Should we try it tomorrow night?" I ask excitedly.
"What about in the afternoon"

I laughs hysterically "No one watches horror in the afternoon"

He nods "Fine, if that's what you want"
"Yes! It is"

"Okay".

::

I can't help but think about this whole lockdown shenanigans Amjad has us going on.
It's suspicious but obviously he's not doing something illegal.

I walk inside his room and find him in the same position I found him yesterday but reading a different book.

"Can I talk to you?"

He nods before placing a piece of paper on the page he's on and closing it, keeping it on his bedside.

He sits up looking at me.
I was still standing by the door because I didn't want to seem like I was trying to corner him.

"Why are we doing this?" I ask raising my eyebrows questioningly.
"For us"

"What do you mean by that? What does for us mean exactly?"
He huffs "People don't like me"

"Why don't they?" I ask.
"People don't like what they don't understand"

Well I hated physics cause I never understand it, is it the same?

"Why can't they understand you?"
"Because I don't want them to, people fear what they don't understand that's why they don't like them"

I do fear physics.

"Just like Raudah"
He shakes his head "Raudah isn't complicated, she's fearless. At least she pretends to be"

"Pretends? I've never seen her afraid of anyone"
"She is, of her mother and of her husband"
"Hafiz?"

She fears Hafiz?
"I think he's her husband" he says back.

"He is"
He nods.

It can't be true, she can't be afraid of him. Why would she be?

He stands "I know you care for him but he's not the one you're married to, so please keep your distance"

I look at him questioningly "So I have to be wary of everyone?"
"Just until you see for yourself"

"See what?"
"You'll see, soon enough" he smirks and walks out.

I hate the way he talks like a 70year old psychologist, he always keeps me hanging and giving me no other choice but to trust him.
I just don't get him.

::

Loud bangs at the front door wake me up startled.
I was only wearing a knee high gown so I quickly put on my hijab.

I open my bedroom door and Amjad opens his at the same time too, his eyes looked like he was also sleeping.
"Who is it?" I ask scared before I check the wall clock.

"I don't know"
It was already 2pm.
"I'll go check it out, don't come down until I tell you to"

I shake my head.
He just stares at me for a while and walks ahead. I follow behind closely as we walked down the stairs and all the way to the front door.

"Hide behind the door" he says stony.
I nod and oblige.

He opens the door "Hafiz?"
I quickly come out from behind the door. Hafiz and some palace security were outside.

"Were you the one banging on my door?"
He shakes his head "No, he was" he says pointing to the palace head security.

"What is this about?" I ask worriedly.

He looks at me sadly "Najib is dead"
"What?!"
I stare at him disbelievingly, he's lying.

"He was found in a cargo ship in the docks"

I freeze.

::