XXI

She kept glaring at them.
Halima and Huda turn and look at each other raising their eyebrows confusedly.

Apparently the Empress and Emperor both called for them.
Raudah, Huda, Halima, Muhibba and Sadiya all sat down.

It was the very first time she met both Halima and Muhibba but the second seems to dislike everyone waiting already.

"Who is she?" Huda asks Halima.
Halima smiles "She's Uncle Salis's only daughter. She's his everything"

Huda makes an 'O' with her mouth. "Why is she glaring at us?"
"Probably because she likes what she sees"

Huda chuckles before her eyes subconsciously look at Raudah who was too engrossed in her phone.
She huffs.

The turn everything took was still a shock to her.

.

They all sat down across the husband and wife who were both dressed casually. Not wearing their royal attire but he wearing a normal caftan and she wearing a bubu.

"I know some of you were busy when we called. I wanted to announce something that is related to all five of you present here" she says, no one dared say a word.

"Your marriage"
"What?" Halima asks looking at her uncle and aunt.

"Yes. All of you will be married off and to men the Emperor and I specifically chose for you. So don't worry about who it is and be rest assured we made a good decision for you all"

They all stared at them like they were crazy.
"For who your partner will be, you'll have to meet Awwal tomorrow afternoon and you'll get to meet them there". She adds.

"I have done my part so the Empress and Awwal will take care of the rest" The Emperor says.

All the girls left except Huda and Raudah who were unsure what they're position is.
"So? Does the announcement include us?" Raudah asks alarmed.

The Empress glares at her, indicating her choice of words crossed the line.
"I'm sorry for speaking out of line"

She doesn't acknowledge her apology and huffs "Yes it includes you. Things have gotten so complicated with the loss of one of our vassals so we decided to make things right"

Huda nods "What about Najib?"
"We'll know soon enough"

::

The Yurfon Market always gets busier by the end of the year, more vendors come out to sell rare items and people from around the world visited more.

Hafiz was walking down the Yurfron Main Street when a stall caught his attention. The man sells things made from hard wooden straws, from bags to baskets and hats with other interesting things as well.

He picks up a hat and turns to Huda "I can't believe I actually ran into you here" he says smiling.

"Believe me I feel the same way, I thought all you did was look for something to keep you busy"
He nods "That's also true"

She came out to walk around in the market a little but to her dismay she bumped into him, it's not like she didn't like him but for a while she just wanted to plug in her AirPods and walk around silently but now her AirPods are stuffed in her jeans pocket and she couldn't escape.

"I know"
He puts the hat on her head "You look good"

She smiles "Then it must be my lucky day"
"No. You're always looking good without even trying"

She blushes "Have you heard? A few of us girls are getting hitched"
He looks at her surprised "Us too, probably trying to set us all up"

She smiles "I'd be lucky if it's you"
He raises an eyebrow "Why?"

"I like you too and it's better you than anyone else"
"Najib will be part of us too"

She looks at him stunned "But—"
"—We don't know their reasons for it and you never know how it might turn out"

She nods.
"I heard you two have a history"

She chuckles "Not the kind of history you're thinking of"
He smiles at her "I know".

::

Huda takes a deep breath standing in front of the VIP room. Uncle Awwal called and told her to come here. She could tell what it was. You can't really marry someone you've not met so this is was it.

Suddenly her phone starts ringing.
She saw Hafiz's name blinking on the screen. She smiles and quickly opens the door, he was probably waiting for her.

She stands motionless.
At loss for words.

It wasn't Hafiz, nor was it Najib.
She has never even met the guy personally.

"You seem petrified" he smirks "Have a seat" he says pulling a chair for her.
She forcefully moves her legs and sits, he sits back down.

His smile vanishes, instead he was just staring at her, like he was trying to figure something out.
"Sorry, I'm just a bit taken aback" she says.

He shakes his head "It's understandable"
He smiles "You don't have to say anything if you're uncomfortable"

"No, it's not that I'm uncomfortable"
"I know, you expected to see someone else"

She stays quiet.
"I'll admit, yes"
"I know" he sips his drink.

"You don't seem bothered"
He smiles "Why should I? I hate the idea of marriage even more of someone I didn't choose myself but the decision is already final, getting irked won't fix anything".

She nods "I see"
"Where you expecting something else?"

"No, not really"

His phone pings.
He picks it up and suddenly his body turns rigid with a huge frown on his face, obviously irritated.
"Something just came up, let me escort you to your car"

She nods. Whatever it was it worked in her favor, she felt uncomfortable with him.

He opens the car door for her "Sorry for cutting our lunch short"
He didn't look like the words came from his lips, he looked pissed and irritated but his voice sounded smooth and apologetic.

"It's okay, it was good meeting you"
Her eyes divert to the restaurant door, he turns around and sees Hafiz standing there. The both of them looked at each other for a while.

"I'll take my leave" he walks away.
He was shocked to see Hafiz looking glum. He could already guess the situation.

He shakes his head not even interested in the situation as he got in his car and drove off.

::