XXXIII

Hafiz's POV.

We all sat around the dining table trying to get our facts straight.
Huda and Raudah sat side by side holding hands.

Why are women so extra?
It's not like the guy was tortured or anything of the sort.

"So? You're saying his name is Lawal and he's Najib's right hand?"
They both nod "Yes he is".

"He has been missing since Najib's death, we thought maybe he was hiding or dead"

"So what was on the flash drive?" Huda asks.
Amjad shakes his head "That's for Hafiz and I to know".

"Why can't we? Maybe we can help?" Huda asks. "No one is as close to Najib and Masoud like the two of us and it's obvious both deaths are linked".

I nod "They make a valid point. Huda" I turn and look at her "Do you mind telling us what you and Masoud discussed that night? Or what Najib told you when he called you?"

She and Amjad look at each other. They were obviously withholding information.
"You talked for 20mins, he must have told you a lot in that twenty minutes".

She stays quiet.
"He called me too" Raudah admits.

Hafiz looks at her questionably "He called you? Are you sure?"
She nods "We talked for about 15mins".

I stare at her confused "But it wasn't in the record".
"Except if they wanted everyone to suspect Huda" Amjad says.

I nod.
They wanted people to suspect both Amjad and Huda, but why?

"So? What's on the flash drive?" Raudah asks.

Huda's POV.

"So? What's on the flash drive?" Raudah asks.

They both looked so sad, I know it must be something serious if Amjad is looking that devastated.

"What?" I asked nervously.

"Uncle Mustapha has Alzheimer's" Amjad says.
Our mouths drop open.

We both say nothing for a while.
"He has less than a year left".

The emperor is dying and someone knows about it.
"But why does Sadiya have the flash drive?" Raudah asks the imminent question.

"Probably from Uncle Salis or Nafisa because everything is just too specific"
"How?" I ask.

"They know he first found out 12years ago, came up with the plan to make Najib and Masoud heirs 10years ago, the doctor he saw, his treatments, recordings with his doctors, medical reports and everything"

"But it wouldn't make sense that Uncle Salis would steal from his niece. What if he gave it to her to keep it safe?" Raudah asks.

"Most probably, no one would suspect his niece to have something that valuable. We need to interrogate that guy quickly" Amjad says.

We nod.
"But Huda you should go home"

I pout "Why?"
"You don't need to be here" Hafiz adds.

"Is it safe for me to go home?" I ask trying to persuade both men.
"You're right, it's not safe to keep him here. We need to find somewhere else to keep him" Amjad suggests.

"What about us?" Raudah asks.
"Suleiman will be here".

Suleiman has been outside keeping an eye on Lawal, we still don't completely trust him.
"You two stay here" Amjad warns before walking out.

"If anyone asks you came to see Raudah because you two haven't met since Najib's passing, okay?" Hafiz asks.

I nod "Okay".

::

Queen Mina knocks and enters the room.
She sat by the bed as tears filled her eyes.
She holds his hand.

Yesterday night Emperor Mustapha dropped unconscious.
He woke up but he couldn't even recognize her.
For now only she and Awwal know about it and until the heir has safely landed in Vier they'd have to continue hiding it.

"Mustapha?" She calls out his name looking at his pale face.
"Please don't leave me, I can't handle living without you. Stay with me" her voice cracks as she starts sobbing. "It's been 30years my love, I've forgotten what it feels like to be alone, what it feels like when you're not around but inshallah you'll be in a better place. You've been nothing but an honest and devoted husband, a caring and passionate leader and you've been like a father to those boys. You've suffered for long enough and even though it's going to be difficult to live on without you if it's your time I hope it comes easy for you"

"Don't say that"
She turns her head and sees Awwal.

She wipes her tears still caressing his hands.
"Don't say what?"
"He has a long life ahead"

She smiles "Awwal I know what's going on and you know it. Don't protect me from the truth because I will find out eventually" she takes a deep breath "I'm stronger than you think"

"Amina I have no doubt that you are"
"Then don't tell me there's hope, don't make me dream of a future that won't exist. He has lived longer than any of us predicted and if Allah wishes he'll live longer but I don't want to see him in pain anymore. He has battled with it for long enough. I've been his earpiece for so long" she looks at him "Do you know how painful it is to have to tell him what to say because he doesn't remember what to say or people he sees? I don't want him suffering anymore"

Awwal nods "I understand but you have to be strong"
"Don't tell me to be strong, I've been strong and I'm tired of being strong. My reason for having strength is hanging by a thread" she looks at her husband "So don't tell me to be strong because I've had enough of it".

He raises his eyebrows "What do you mean?"
"Once the boy is named Emperor I'm leaving"

"What? But why? You can't"
She keeps her husband's hand and stands walking over to him "Haven't I devoted my life enough to this kingdom? My husband spent his remaining years training children that will inherit his throne and where are they now?"

He stays quiet.
"They were killed, 10years he gave his all to make them suitable for the throne and now they're both gone and because of what? He could have lived his last days enjoying himself and doing whatever. The way the next Emperor behaves isn't a concern for him but he wanted what's best for his people and that was why he tried his best with those Vassals and what did we get? Nothing" she huffs "Don't tell me to be strong Awwal" she walks out.

He sighs.

::