XLV

Amjad's POV.

I had to send Huda home to get the phone and wait for me there while I made my way to see Hafiz.

I found him leaning on my office door.
I huff "You've been waiting for me?"

He just stares at me.
"Why did you call me? I'm busy"
He scoffs "And I'm not? What are you busy with?"

"I don't have to tell you, do I?"
"Keeping secrets, how refreshing"

I chuckle "I didn't know I have to relay everything I do to you and it's not a secret, it's just not your business"

He huffs frustratedly "Of course you've always been this way"
"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're so used to doing things on your own, not caring about anyone else. Things were good, I'm not saying you and I need to be friends but at least—just that we were uncovering things, we were so close and you suddenly started pulling back and traveling and whatever. I hope you realize that your father isn't the only one with the means to find the son of a bitch that is doing all this"

I stare at him "I know, I'm aware and things are just getting intense. I can be responsible for my family but I can't be responsible for you"

He scoffs "I never asked you to"
I stand across him leaning on the wall "You know, we really shouldn't be talking about these things here"

He smiles "We really shouldn't unless we want our heads on a spike".

We both laugh.
"But I thought you called me over because you blame me for your father?"

He shrugs "I'm not stupid, I know. I just pretended"

"I even prepared myself for a fist fight" I joke.
"Let's go"

::

Immediately I park I notice that the front door was open. I hurry out, sprinting through the front door, leaving Hafiz in the car.

My living room looked a mess and I started to panic I run in and stand outside in my backyard in shock.

Huda was seated on the floor crying while her siblings hovered over her.
"What's going on here?" I ask both annoyed and worried.

Iman raises her hands in the air "Wallahi it wasn't me"
Her brother just stares at me.

I walk over and kneel next to her.
"Huda, what's wrong?"

"Well—" Iman starts "Some people raided the house. They might have been looking for something".

"What? Is there anything missing?" I ask even though i know the phone was probably taken, maybe that's why she's crying. Her brother said nothing just looking at me suspiciously.

"Amjad your—" Hafiz stays quiet when he joins us "What's going on here?"

::

Huda was still sniffling, the room was messed up but I managed to tidy it up a little. Thankfully Iman had already done most of the tidying up before we got home.

I sit next to her resting my hand on her thigh.
"Don't cry"

"Why not? The only thing he left me and I lost it"
I shake my head "You might have but we'll find another way"

She looks at me confused "But why? Why will they openly do something like this? Trying to show us they're not scared"

I shake my head smiling "No, it means they're scared and desperate".
"What if they come for one of us next?"

"They won't, we'll figure it out".
She nods "You should rest". I tell her.

.

I meet Nazir, by the staircase.
"This wasn't how I intended to meet you" he says firmly.