XX

Najib sat down nervous in front of the Emperor.
He hasn't been able to focus since he heard of Masoud's passing.

"You don't need to be nervous" he tells Najib trying to calm him.
"Of course"

He huffs "I heard that training has become a little difficult for you, is that true?"
He nods.

"I haven't been able to focus"
"Because of the late Vassal?"

Najib nods again.
"You don't have to be nervous or feel guilty. We all make mistakes and we've all done something to someone we couldn't apologize to but we pray and move on"

He just stares at him, he knew it wasn't that easy. In fact what he just said didn't make any sense to him.
"You might not agree with me now but I eventually you will so that's okay"

He nods.
"Anyway I called you here for a different reason. I know about your lack of interest in being the heir apparent so I don't want you to worry about that. You don't have to be anymore".

He looked at him baffled "What?"
"Some of the royal court members don't think you should become Emperor because they all suspect that you might have had something to do with the other's death and I have no choice but to do it. It was unanimous but I have other plans for you".

"Plans? What plans?"
The Emperor just stared at him "None of my vassals can ascend the throne but I intend to make a fair judgement for you and your families so I'm going to make sure you three get wedded"

He looked at the man, puzzled.
"Wedded?"

::

Alhaji Hammad, Salis, Uncle Awwal and General Abdulateef all sat down on different couches in the emperor's living room.

He walks in wearing a grey Caftan and sits.
"Sannun ku (Welcome)"

"I was stunned to see your call. I forget you have a phone" Alhaji Hammad says.
"Yes we'll, our Vice Premier is getting too old to show up for every single court meeting we have so unless it's very important I prefer not to bother you and I know the Left State Councillor, Alhaji Aliyu will fill you in".

Alhaji Hammad laughs.

"We're all getting old" Mustapha adds.

"Indeed we are" Salis agrees.

"Well I called you here to talk to you all about something very important which I have already spoken to your sons about" he huffs "I intend to get them all married"

They all look at him, loss for words.
Uncle Awwal and General Abdulateef were happy about it, Alhaji Hammad was partially insulted because someone was going to make a decision about his son while Salis was anything but happy, it ruined his plans completely.

"Out of the blue?" Salis asks smiling.
"We're naming a new Emperor soon and just like I had you all to count on I want him to able to count on your children as well" he looks at Alhaji Hammad "Amjad is too focused on avoiding anything related to the palace" he turns to Uncle Awwal "Suleiman only keeps going after women with no intention of marriage" he looks at Salis "Aadil is too focused on pretending to be studying and Hafiz is stalling"

He stands "I wanted to tell you all because you're their parents and just like I did for your sons I plan to do the same for the women they marry" he huffs "That's all"

After a few minutes everyone was out except for Alhaji Hammad.
"It seems you want to talk to me about something important"

He nods "Leaving the house isn't as easy as it used to be"

"Of course. I hope you understand my reasons  for making such decision"
He smiles "Yes and I agree with it. A huge responsibility and a massive role will make Amjad realize he's avoiding the inevitable. I never thought about it but I respect your decision".

"You've always been understanding. Even when no one saw potential in me back then"

"Well like I said then, you can't judge someone without giving me the right and responsibilities that would judge him. And I think that's what the children need"

Mustapha nods "And I know Amjad would do just that"
"I hope so but which woman are you thinking of marrying him?"

Mustapha chuckles "You still worry" he huffs "Huda Iman"
"The vassal?"

He nods "Yes. There needs to be balance in this world. If you put two fighters in one cage and in another you put a scholar and a fighter, who do you think would find a way out first?"

The man looks at him "The fighters, they've been trained for far worse things"
"A fighter knows how to fight and he thinks with his physical capabilities because that's his strength and endurance is part of his strength. On the other hand a scholar uses the brain to think. So while one is looking for a soft spot in the cage to create a hole the other is thinking of a way of unlocking the cage. That's Balance"

He smiles "As always, your notable amount of wisdom. She was the same person I had in mind"

::

Amjad walks out of his study and locks the door, putting the keys in his pocket.

"It's surprising to see you in the Royal court" Suleiman says leaning on his own study door.
"And why is that?"

Suleiman smirks "Well I know you're up to something. No one ever looks at you twice because you act like you're not interested in all these heir impediment but I see something else"

Amjad scoffs.
He and Suleiman rarely even talked so the fact that he even approached him with something this extraneous was actually really amusing.

"Good for you. What do you want?"

He smiles "I heard I'm getting paired with one of the vassals and you with Sadiya, interesting isn't it?"

"Oh really? Congratulations" he starts walking but Suleiman stands in his way "You sure you're happy for me? You don't seem so happy"

He glares at him, irritated. He had something he had to do urgently and Suleiman was wasting his time with irrelevant things.
"Move" he growls.

Suleiman stood there watching him walk away.
"Obnoxious bastard" he whispers before going back into his study, slamming the door.

::