LI

We stood outside the palace as we watched them take Uncle Awwal away. Amjad's arm's were wrapped around me. I couldn't stop crying.
Someone I trusted with my entire being, we all trusted him so much.

I could tell it hit Hafiz really hard, he hasn't been himself since he found out. He looks broken and it's heartbreaking seeing him that way.

I know Amjad is hurt too but there's something else bothering him, I know he won't tell me but I'll be by his side.

I make eye contact with Uncle Awwal, he smirks tauntingly. How could someone pretend for so long?
Is that even possible?

I snuggled in Amjad's arms as the tears got worse, he pats me "It's going to be fine" he whispers.

I nod.
"It'll be fine" he murmurs.

"Huda?"
I turn around and see Raudah, bright red after crying for so long.

Amjad pulls his arms away and I hug her.
We both cry.
Thankfully his arrest was kept under wraps, Munir thought the people shouldn't have to know yet, it will be a blow to them as well.

Raudah pulls away "I'm sorry"
"You shouldn't be apologizing"

She nods.
"Let's go" Hafiz says walking away.

She wipes her tears "He's still in shock, I'll see you later".
I nod.

::

Amjad and I came to see his father.
His whole demeanor changed the moment we got in the car.

Now I'm sure whatever is bothering him has a lot to do with his father.

"My daughter in law" he says excitedly "I know it might not be a good day for you but at least your friend's murderer will face justice"

I nod.
"Don't be sad, all will be well inshallah".

He turns to Amjad.
He looked bothered "You don't look so good"

He stays quiet.
"Can we talk?"
"About what? What else is there for us to talk about?"

He smiles at me "For your wife's sake?" He says with the sweetest smile.
"Amjad?" I call his name.

Annoyed, he follows his father out.

.

He walks out a few minutes later worse than he did when he came in.
He looked pissed "Let's go" he says angrily.

"But I haven't—"
"—Hudayya now!" He shouts startling me.
I hurry out.
I don't know what happens when he gets angry and I definitely don't want to find out.

::

"Is Amjad okay?" Iman asks as I absentmindedly stir my soup.

"Huda?"
"Yeah?"

She huffs "I don't know this Uncle Awwal but it seems like you two really trusted him and I'm sorry about it, I know that wouldn't change anything"

I smile.
I liked the fact that she was making an effort.

"It does, at least it shows that you care"
"I do but it seems finding out it was him hasn't been so good for Amjad and Hafiz too, despite the fact that his father has been released".

I huff "I don't know what to do. It's been a week already since his arrest but Amjad still behaves so cold and distant. I thought after everything was sorted out that we would give our relationship a chance".

"You love him?"
I shrug "I don't know if it's love but I really, desperately want to make things work".

She nods "Then you can't be here making soup. You need to confront him".
"Should I?"

She collects the serving spoon from my hands "I'll handle this".

.

He was in the gazebo staring at the ceiling blankly.
I sit next to him and gently place my hands on his, getting his attention.

He says nothing and just stares at me.
"You okay?"

He nods.
"Are you sure?"
He takes a deep breath "Yes"

I shake my head "You're not, you're not fine and I'm tired of seeing you this way Amjad"

He scoffs "What purpose do I have?"
"What?"

"I have no mother, no sibling, no father"
"But Abba is alive"

He scoffs "He isn't, not to me"
"But he's still your father"

He looks at me annoyed, "He isn't. A man like that cannot be my father and I can't proudly call him my father. I feel like a weakling, a man who can't do anything and it's frustrating. I hate myself for it"

I hold his hand tighter "You have me, I'm your family too and now that all this is sorted out there's no need for us to stay here. We don't have to, we could leave and start afresh somewhere else. Away from the hurt and pain".

He smiles "That sounds nice but he would never let that happen".
"If I know anything, it's that you're just like him, if not worse".

He chuckles "So I'm a terrible person?"
I shake my head "You're smart and calculating. We can make it work. We don't need him and he should be frightened of us and not the other way round"

He smiles "You don't know him like I do"
"I know but isn't it better than living here, miserably?"

He smiles "It is".

::

Amjad's POV.

I see him approaching.
We both stood in the hanger.

Huda, Iman and Hafiz were both in the jet. Long story short, Hafiz and Raudah are now legally divorced. They both realized they had no reason to be together.

Somehow Huda convinced him to leave with us. We'd eventually go our separate paths.

"So? You were thinking of escaping?" He asks with a cocky smile.
"Funny. But I'm not escaping, I'm leaving"

He frowns "Where to?"
I huff "I haven't decided yet".

"Really? You think you can run from me?"
I chuckle "It's funny that you think I'm hiding it from you. If I wanted to hide it from you I would but I'm not staying in this vile kingdom and I'm not planning on letting my children either"

"You're not coming back" he says in realization.
I nod.

"And you think I'd let you do that?"
"What? Will I end up in a plane crash too? As you can see I'm getting in a jet. Do as you wish but I'm not staying here. I will miss you dearly" I say sarcastically.

He just stares at me and smiles.
"Be happy, I have caused you enough sadness and I can't take it back but I want you to know that I regret every decision I made".

I nod "At least you're feeling guilty, that's if it's not another one of your acts. Wishing you the best with your new puppet and please let's not see each other again" I hug him and enter the jet.

Epilogue!

"You finally came, I thought you had forgotten about me. I'm tired of hiding from everyone, I can't continue living like this" he says frustratedly.

Nazir smiles.
"My sisters and her husband left"

He shakes his head "That's it, you'll let Amjad go?"
"We don't need him around to ruin his father"

Nazir looks at his watch, the glass broken.
"I'll take what should have been mine"

"And so? I'm supposed to be hiding for the rest of my life"

He groans "Masoud don't be so dramatic, you've done your part. Now Awwal is locked up, Munir is on the throne and Alhaji Hammad has his guard down, my sisters aren't here, everything is going just as planned".

"I hope so". Masoud answers back.

He smirks.

The End!!
05-07-22