XLVII

"Why?! Why would you just pick up things without my permission?" Huda asks angrily.

Iman just got me the phone and now I'm slowly unscrewing it.
We can't just hit it on the ground and search for the memory card.

The two were hovering over me arguing and honestly it was distracting me.
"Well, I've returned it, haven't I?"

"Why do you always want to make me miserable?"
"Me? Look I was in a good mood before you started saying all your gibberish".

"Oooh and why would I care if you were in a good mood Iman? I was in a good mood before you came here? Leave!"

"I'm not especially now that I have a job"
"Oh stop lying who would ever offer you a job?"

I abruptly stand "Will you two just quit it? Can't I do this in peace?"

"Well she should stop snooping around my things"
"I didn't" Iman defended.

"Look, Iman you can't go snooping around your sister's things but this time it paid off, although I can't get mad about it because if you didn't we wouldn't have the phone now so in a way, thank you"

Huda gasps "You're siding her?"
I groan "Please can you two please not do this now? I'm trying to focus"

"Okay" Iman walks out.
"So after spending quality time with her you're choosing her over me? That's fine" she walks out.

I groan.
I'll just go after dealing with this.

::

I excitedly enter her bedroom "I have the memory card".
"How nice". She says sarcastically.

I hate sarcasm, a lot.
I was already getting annoyed, this past week hasn't been so easy "What now?"

She stands from the bed folding her arms.
"Are you going to say it or should I just leave?"

She huffs "Where did you take Iman today?"
"The hospital and then palace"

"Why?"
"I don't have to answer that, if there's something you want to say then just say it, I have little patient for all this frivolity".

She nods "She said you gave her a job"
"I didn't, Halima offered and she agreed. Who am I to stop her?"

"You could have disagreed?"
"Why should I? She's miserable here and she has no friends"

"So you'll take her there everyday?"
"If I'm going to the palace certainly but if not I'll get someone else to take her"

She scoffs "Why are you treating her specially?"
"You're saying getting her checked out after she was hurt in our house and taking her out for once as special treatment? Whatever you think of what I did for your sister really doesn't matter to me. I have more important things going on and if you're going to keep nagging then you can sit comfortably and let me figure things out peacefully"

"Now we're arguing because of her, something we've never done"
"Goodnight Hudayya". I walk out.

::

Hafiz's POV.

I finally got the chance to meet Baba after begging Uncle Awwal for days. I know he doesn't have the power to give me confirmation but he might know who can.

"Just 5 minutes" the security by the cell says.
"I'll take as much time as I want" I hiss.

He smirks and opens the door.
The room looked okay, a single bed (small), a table, chair, praying mat and the place was scented and clean but he still shouldn't be here.

He smiles sadly "I thought you wouldn't come see me"
"Just because we don't get along? I can't sleep well knowing my father is in a cell"

He smiles.
He was seated on the praying mat, leaning on the wall. I sit next to him.

"How're you doing?"
"The food is great and I have my own stall in the bathroom, a cell with comfort"

I chuckle "I'm glad but I have to get you out of here"
"Don't rush it"

"Your hearing is a month from today, you're innocent"
"How are you so sure about that?" He asks daringly, tilting his head.

I didn't know what to say, now I'm starting to wonder.
"What does that mean?"

"I know you and Amjad are trying to figure everything out and if I say anything I put my family's life at risk but you need to go to my study" he whispers.

"Why?"
"You'll find something there"

"What?" I ask nervously.
"You'll know but don't go alone. Tell your mother I'm sorry"

I abruptly stand "Did you really do it?"
He just continues reading his book.

"Did you?"
He says nothing.

"Baba?"
"You can go now Hafiz".

The door opens and the guard peeps "I wish I wouldn't have to drag you out".
I storm out.

::

I lean on my car just staring at the house.
Baba asked me to include Amjad, I know he has his reasons but if he's really part of it I don't think I can.

If I can find a way to exclude him or find the evidence before Amjad does then maybe I can find a way to clear it.

I finally lock my car door and enter the house.
"Ma" I shout my mother's name.

"I'm here" she shouts.
"I need to look for something in Baba's study" I say but she doesn't answer.

I freeze when I enter the living room.
Amjad's father was seated across my mother.
"You seem to be in a rush"

I shake my head "I just have a few things to get".
"I was expecting you to show up with Amjad, isn't that what your father told you?"

I stay quiet.
I've heard about how intimidating he was but standing here while he questions me has just proved it.

I smile "I was going to call him as soon as I arrived"
He stands walking over "Okay, you do that" he walks past me and out of the house.

Mama was still smiling "How are you dear?"
"What was he doing here?"

"He spoke to your father"
My heart was already beating faster "So? What did they talk about?"

She shakes her head "He never told me but he knows your father was part of it"
"Wait, you knew too?"

She shrugs "Your father is always doing one thing or the other so when they arrested him I knew he had done something".
"One thing or the other? I knew he wasn't a good man but—he's that indecent?"

She scoffs "I married a decent man but that was long before we had you".
I huff "I thought he was always an honorable man"

She nods walking over and hugging me "I know dear. Why don't you go pray and then we can eat"

I nod walking away.

::