XXIV

Amjad's POV.

I enter Abba's living room and find him reading a newspaper on his favorite arm chair.
"I was surprised when you called" he says excitedly putting the paper aside.

"You're all I have left, can't you come see me more often?"

I smile "I'd like that but I'm very busy"
He nods "So busy you didn't attend your wedding ceremony? What were you doing?" He asks suspiciously.

I sit across him and smile "She can handle herself"
"I have no doubt about that but it wasn't the question I asked, was it?"

"I'm doing what I can to keep myself and my wife safe"
Alhaji Hammad chuckles, his deep hoarse and rugged voice making the whole room vibrate.

"Oh really? That's what you're doing?"
I nod. I have no reason to lie to him but I know he won't believe what I say either way.

"Yeah. I might not have feelings for this girl but we're already married and I can't treat her horribly and I can't leave her, it's not a choice. I don't need to have feelings for her but protecting her is an obligation. At the end of the day she's my wife, if her name is tainted then so will mine".

He smiles "You sound responsible, I'm just not sure if you're sincere"

I nod, understanding why he'd think that "I understand why you'd suspect that but it's the truth"

"Fine then. What have you been up to?"
"Just doing what I can"

"The Emperor is going to give you a place in his royal court, a position befitting your status"
"Excellent" I smile "But Abba I'm curious"

"What?"
"Why'd you choose Huda for me?"

He looks at me surprised but then smiles "You've always been sharp, that's why hiding things from you always proves difficult but you'll find out soon, on your own".

::

I wear my official royal court attire.
When he said I got a position I expected to start next week but I forgot everything related with royalty is always so hasty.

The door opens and Rayyan enters smiling from ear to ear. "My god! Is that you?"

I ignore his dumb question.
"You're looking important"

I shake my head "This attire is uncomfortable"
"For real, it looks uncomfortable" he starts looking around "So...This is your new office? It's huge"

I nod "I know, I'm not one to sit in an office but it'll be beneficial"
"I know"

Aadil comes in "Uncle Mustapha wants to see us" he says.

We never call the Emperor Uncle Mustapha until he wants to talk to us about something personal as an Uncle and not an emperor.

"Okay then, let me take this off and give the boy outside to take it to the Royal Tailor and head there immediately".

He smiles "He said we should go together"
"Okay".

::

Normally when we address him as Uncle Mustapha it's in his quarters but today we are discussing in his office and yes even an Emperor has an office.

We all sat on different couches across him.
"So how have you all been doing?" He asks excitedly.

"We're okay" Najib says.

"I know you all just got married a week ago and you're back a bit too early but time isn't on our side" he says with a frown evident on his face.

"And why is that?" Hafiz asks.
"Well the reason I was keen on having you all marry at the same time with the women I chose is because I want you all to be ready"

We all look at him, confused.
"Ready for what?" I ask resting my arms on my thighs.

"I'm naming a new Emperor soon"
Suleiman gasps "Soon? How soon?"

"That's for me to know. I want the next ruler to have men he can trust by his side, men he can count on no matter the situation and you all are going to be those men" he says proudly.

"Lay our lives for him?" I ask. I really wanted to know if he expected us to give our lives up for someone we don't know.

He smiles "Explain"
"I mean, it's great if he can trust us but can we trust him? I know it's an unprecedented thing to say but it's just facts".

"Amjad, do you trust your wife?"
I stare at him not sure what he was getting at.
Now everyone's attention was undoubtedly focused on me.

"Honestly...I do not"
I could see Hafiz glaring at me but I couldn't care less about his feelings.

"And why is that?"
"I don't know her"

"Is that all?"
"Yes we're married, she's frail and also emotional but she's also headstrong, persistent and quick witted"

He nods "You see, it's not that you don't trust her, it's just that you don't want to, not yet. I think at this point you trust her more than everyone present here".

I turn my head away.
He chuckles "And that's the whole point, trust is earned and without trying she earned yours, at least enough of it, so just give it time".

The man speaks so much wisdom.

::

I huff walking in.
The house was so quiet and dark.
"Huda!" I call but she doesn't answer, I didn't bother checking any room with the lights switched off.

But to my surprise my bedroom lights were on and the door slightly open.
I open it and find her sitting in front of my open wardrobe gently arranging my clean laundry inside the wardrobe, she had her ear piece on.

I'm glad I got what I wanted, the person I actually wanted.

I walk over and tap her shoulders, she raises her head alarmed but calms when she sees me.
"I didn't hear you come in" she says putting her phone and ear piece in her jeans pocket.

"You couldn't have"
"They finished the laundry and brought it, I figured maybe you won't want a total stranger in your room"

I nod "I'll finish up"
She smiles "Okay then"

She walks past me.
"We're going to the palace"
"When?" She asks turning around.

"Tomorrow morning"
"Okay then" she smiles "Goodnight" she walks out.

::