XXV

Hafiz's POV.

Not being with Huda was something I didn't think was possible, she was the very first girl I had feelings for so I expected things to go differently, though we never made it official between us but everyone in the palace knew about it so I was more than confident that she'd be the one I'd marry.

Sitting across Raudah as she slowly, cautiously and nervously ate her food.
"At this rate you'll never finish eating" I say.

She and I are supposed to go to the Hind Palace this morning to see some children. They're children from noble families that will be taught in the Hind Palace.

"I'm done"
"You haven't eaten anything, I'm not telling you not to eat, I'm just telling you to eat properly. I don't bite" I stand "I need to go get something from Suleiman's place but I'll be back in a minute".

She nods.

From the porch I can hear Suleiman and Sadiya arguing. They always argue so I don't know why they were paired together, it's dangerous.

I knock again before finally the maid opens looking frightened and relieved.
"What's going on?" I ask.

She smiles nervously "They are just having a minor disagreement"
I scoff "Minor? The whole estate can hear them"

He nods "Please come in, he'll join you in a few minutes"

I walk in and sit.
"Wallahi Sule! Don't tell me that nonsense!"

"You didn't hire her! Did you?!"

"Sule! Sule!"

"I told you I hate it when you call me that!"

"Screw you! I hate you!"

"I'm out!"

Seconds later he walks in and smiles when he sees me.
"What a surprise"

"What's a surprise?!" She shouts.
The moment she walks in she smiles and turns to him "You didn't tell me Hafiz was here"

"You never asked"
She huffs taking in a deep breath "Welcome, do you need anything?"

Suleiman just looks at her shocked. I smile and stand "I just needed to talk to Suleiman about something but I'll just see him later. You two seem occupied" I walk out before she could say a thing, I didn't want to be in the middle of all that.

::

I immediately freeze when I walk in.
Huda was standing by the window, looking outside.

She had a huge smile on her face, almost like a prisoner admiring the outside world but what was she doing here?

I close the door and that got her attention.
"I wasn't expecting to see you"

Sometimes I regret the fact that I never made a move and I wonder if she ever does too.
"I wasn't expecting to be here" she answers a bit more serious than usual.

"So? What's going on?"
"The book, the book I caught you with the first time we met, what was your plan back then?"

I raise my eyebrows, why was she curious about that now?
"And you're only asking this now? Why?"

She smiles "I was thinking about you this morning and then I remembered when we first met, you told me you were the librarian's son and even though Uncle Awwal caught you and with such a book he let us off the hook, it's shady, isn't it?"

I nod "I see you've had time to think"
"Yeah well unfortunately that will change soon"

"How so?" I ask curiously.
"I wouldn't want to ruin your wife's surprise. So? What was the point of what you did back then, believe me it's not like I'm judging or going to judge you, I'm just dying of curiosity".

I smile "I know you're restless when you're curious so I'll answer your question, it was a test and that's all you'll get"

She nods "Are we still going through tests?"
I shake my head "Even if you were I can't tell you"

She walks over standing in front of him "Do you remember the day you told me about your mum and dad?" She asks smiling brightly, like she wasn't the same person a few seconds back.

I was confused but nodded.
"You made so much sense to me that day, I was dying because I had so many secrets to keep and couldn't bottle it up after my best friend died but here I am sanely surviving my way, on my own terms".

"How?"
"I really thought you'd be the one I marry" she confesses with a pout.

I chuckle "I did too"
"I wish things were different, I always feel better when I talk to you"

I nod.
Just then the door opens and Amjad walks in looking worried but his expression changes when he sees Huda.
"Where have you been?"

"I needed to ask Hafiz something"
"Okay, let's go, I have to go to the mosque in time"

"Okay".

::

I lock the door and sit back down.
Mahmoud came to see me in my house, apparently he had something urgent to tell me.

"Where is your wife?" He asks looking around.
"She's out"

"Are you sure?"
"Yes, tell me what's up?"

He nods "Amjad Hammad"
I raise my eyebrows, confused.

"You know he was an architect in another country"
"Yes so?"

"He has been acting shady, very shady. Did you know he didn't attend his wedding?"
I roll my eyes "It was my wedding too, remember?"

"Oh yeah that's true"
"Yeah and he didn't attend it because he was sick"

He shakes his head, smiling proudly "No, far from that. That day Amjad was spotted at the docks"

"Docks?"
"Yes, a ship had arrived that night"

What was Amjad doing with a ship?

"Did you find out what it was?"
He shakes his head "No but when he came out he was covered in sweat and his clothes were bloody".

It was definitely shady, it could all make sense. Masoud died only a few days after his arrival, maybe it was a way to get the throne but he failed and ended up married to Huda.

"So marrying Huda was his escape plan" I murmur.
"I doubt that"

"What do you mean? Stop beating about the bush and tell me" I shout frustratedly.

"I think they're in on it together"
"What do you mean?"

"I also found out that Huda and Masoud met the night he disappeared, she was the last person he met at the Hind Castle"

I was too shocked to say anything.

::