Chapter 13

The Love Island execs had been planning how to further capitalise on the unexpected rise of Amy's popularity. Some people loved her, others hated her but what both groups had in common was they both wanted to watch her.

Every morning Brad would bring Amy an iced coffee, but today she decided to do something special for him. She got up before him and made him some poached eggs on toast, with a cup of tea and took it up to him in bed on a tray.

'Is this for me?' He asked, clearly touched by her gesture.

'You deserve it' she said, sitting down with her coffee next to him as he ate.

'Want a bite?' He asked, loading up his fork and feeding it to her.

'Not many people make a good poached egg like this you know' he complimented her

'I know, I love to cook though' she explained. That had come in handy when she lived with Jack. His repertoire was porridge (usually from the microwave), cheese on toast and omelettes. As his career had progressed he had his own nutritional plan and although some of the other players had their meals delivered, she'd made most of Jack's food herself. Jack was in her head again. She excused herself and made her way to the diary room to unload her thoughts. Of course, the whole country now knew who she was talking about.

'Things are going really well with Brad and I do like him, obviously if I kissed him I do like him because that's just how I am. I just, I just don't know. This is the first time I've even considered moving on since my ex and it feels strange. I think I always thought that we'd get back together but I've come to terms with the fact that ship has sailed now so although in my head I know it's time to move on, it's not as easy as I thought it would be, but I'm going to give Brad a chance '

Phil watched open mouthed as she spoke, Jack was in the shower so he'd missed it. Phil didn't know what to do, should he tell him? Would it make it worse for him? Clearly he did still feel something for her with the way he'd been acting about her, but his head needed to be in the game. He heard the shower turn off and immediately changed the channel. Decision made, no one could mention it to Jack. They were up against their old rivals Germany the next day anyway.

'You not watching it tonight?' Asked Jack, half relieved but half disappointed. It was like an itch he needed to scratch, seeing her again but with someone else.

'Nah mate, I'm watching this instead' Phil gestured to the tv.

'A gardening programme?' Jack raised his eyebrows knowingly at Phil.

'I just think it's messing with your head and we've got a real chance to win this. Finally. Please don't let this get in the way. After the final by all means do what you need to do, but please Jack let it go for now'

'You're right. I know that and I keep telling myself it's the worst time for these feelings to resurface. Every time it's happened before I've just got off my face or pulled another bird and it helps for a few days, but the thought of her is always there. I just always thought we'd get back together. I guess we just left it too long. Anyway, I'm just going to get an early night after I've done my skincare'

Phil closed his eyes. They clearly still felt the same way about each other, but first priority was the Euro's, and he'd made a promise to Gareth, keep Jack away from Amy.

*****

'Jack I'm starting you on the bench today, but you will be on in the second half. I know it's been a bumpy week for you personally but I've got faith in you. I need you to support Harry up front. We need to hammer them and remind them that we're the mighty England' Gareth briefed Jack in the changing room.