Chapter 46

July 2022
(Time travel anyone?- just roll with it)

'Anyone who says that long distance relationships are easy is a liar' groaned Amy as Jack explained his new training schedule to her over FaceTime. He looked hot AF, lying on their bed with his top off, fresh out of the shower, if only she was there to make the most of it.

'Four weeks Aims and then you're done and you can come home. I can almost hear your keys in the door' he reassured her.

'I know but why do these last 6 weeks seem so long!' She moaned. With her article for her column to write, a game to commentate on, her dissertation to finish and final exams she didn't even know if she'd get to see him before the end of term.

'Its because you're so looking forward to coming home to Grealish Towers, and seeing me almost every day' Jack had given their new house the nickname Grealish Towers when they'd first moved in and it had just stuck.

'It's weird, I feel nervous about it as well as excited. Like we're really going to live together again properly, not temporarily or part time, but like really really'

'I know. It feels different to the flat too. That was always just a step onto the property ladder, but this is probably going to be the home we start our family in. It's wild' Jack was so excited at the thought of her finally being there with him.

'It is a little scary when you put it like that. I mean we're in no rush to start a family, we'd need a wedding first and there's not one of them on the horizon yet, is there?' She gave him a cheeky look. Jack had spoken so many times over the last few months about asking her to marry him, he'd just never done it yet and it had become a bit of a running joke.

'You'll get a wedding. Eventually' he almost twinkled as he said the words. 'Maybe in ten years or something' he laughed.

'I had better go. My exam is at 9am and I need to get some sleep'

'Okay Aims, love you'

'Love you too Jack'

*****

Four weeks later, Jack and Amy sat on her bed waiting for final exam results. He'd come up to Scotland so he could be with her when she got them, and try to keep her calm. It wasn't working though. Amy had been refreshing the screen since 8:30am, even though they weren't being released until 9am.

'Stop worrying. I know that you've done well' Jack had to try and not laugh at how serious her face was.

'What if I've just been doing too much though, like with work and stuff? Or what if I didn't read the question properly? There's just so much that could have gone wrong' she groaned and clicked refresh again.

'Stop being so down on yourself' he hugged her as she hit refresh for the millionth time. This time numbers and letters appeared that meant Absolutely nothing to him. He watched her face, trying to judge if these were what she'd wanted to see.

She threw her arms around him and burst into floods of tears. It took him back to that day in Lorna's house when Amy had opened her exam results.

'I'm sure it's all going to be fine' he rubbed her back.

'No Jack, it's good news. It's the best news. I got a first. I did it! I passed with the best grade possible' she squealed.

'Seriously? That's amazing Aims! Quick phone your mum'

Whilst she called Lorna, Jack snapped a picture of Amy smiling from ear to ear and posted it on his Instagram.

@jackgrealish well done to my Amy, first class degree in international Business Studies with languages.
I'm a lucky man to have someone so funny, beautiful and smart by my side #TeamGrealish #ShesComingHome