Chapter 24

Sunday 11th July
Final day- It's coming home?

Jack woke up at 7am and rubbed his eyes. He'd tossed and turned all night, between Amy and the game ahead running through his mind, it had been near impossible to switch off. For the last month everything had been building towards this final, and there was a good chance that they might actually be able to bring it home after 55 years of waiting.

Jack looked over at Phil. He clearly didn't have the same worries about the final. He was lying splattered across his bed snoring his head off, but that was Phil to a tee. Laid back until showtime. That hair though, Jack hadn't stopped winding him up about it, especially after a certain meme appeared online.

Luckily Phil saw the sunny side and it wasn't long until he'd got his own back on Jack by sharing another meme in the team group chat

The 8pm kick off was a nightmare, it meant that Jack had a whole 13 hours more of this gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach ahead of him

The 8pm kick off was a nightmare, it meant that Jack had a whole 13 hours more of this gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach ahead of him. It also meant that within 16 hours the Euro's would be over. After a month in the England 'bubble' with the sole focus on the Euro's it was going to be strange readjusting to normality and getting ready for pre-season training. First things first though, he couldn't wait to see and hug his family, and then there was Amy. Seeing her up close again was a moment he'd imagined over and over again the last few days, but now it was finally within touching distance.

After breakfast Jack headed back to the room, he'd been thinking and had decided to get Keira to ask Amy to stay behind after the game and join them at the family reception. Whatever the outcome of the game, he wanted to share it with her, just like they'd always planned. Unaware that it was still only 9am, he called her.

'Hello' said Keira, yawning. She wasn't going to give him a row for waking her up this time, not today. 'How are you feeling'

'Nervous AF. It's like one minute I've got so much energy that I can't sit still and I just want to get out there now but then the next minute it's just pure fear. There's so much hanging on all this. Have you seen the newspapers? The support is insane, but the level of expectation is something else'