7. Seventeen's the number

Jackie scowled, having been called into work by Abe, the detective. He had received a message informing him that a string of unclassified murders had been committed throughout the town. He entered the office space, where a few people nodded his way, some murmuring a small greeting. He was well- known in this town, after all.

'It's Anti. I fookin' know it. Who else could it be? He's a fookin' demon. He might fool the other egos saying he's changed, but I know what he is. I remember what he's done to us.' With those thoughts in mind, he confidently strode into Abe's small workspace.

The detective sat behind a large wooden desk, which was cluttered with documents and reports. He lazily rifled through a few before looking up and noticing Jackie.

'Ah, hey, hero. Got my message?' He asked, gesturing to an empty seat opposite him.

'Yeah, bro. Ya think it's the glitch?' Jackie replied. After all, Abe was the correct person to ask. He had been involved with some very sticky unsolved murders with which Anti was linked to. They both knew Anti's 'killing style'.

'Surprisingly, no.' Abe responded, skimming his office chair across the room to a filing cabinet, which he opened and looked through. He took a few documents out, dropping them onto the desk in front of Jackie. 'Listen here, these are the victims and the order and way that they were killed.'

Jackie nodded.

'Jacob Parker, 24, was murdered with a gunshot to the leg. Take into account that none of these people were linked in any way, except for Kai Rayon, whose daughter was also murdered, presumably as an afterthought.'

'Gunshot to the leg?' Jackie furrowed his brow. 'Was it intended to kill?'

'Yes, I looked into that. The bullet was very precisely aimed, so that it would penetrate one of the main arteries. That way he would bleed to death before the fuzz or any passerby could help. He wasn't involved in any drug trade, trafficking, etc. None of the victims had a criminal record either.' He rubbed his chin before continuing.

'Lyra Ridgewell, knifed in the ribs. Kai Rayon and Madysson Rayon, both murdered with a .22 caliber rifle. Male and female murders. The killer didn't care about their race either. And don't forget, there's more murders.'

'Uh huh. They were killed by knives, guns... Anything else?' Jackie hummed thoughtfully, wondering if Anti owned a gun. He could always snoop when the glitch was out.

'Strangulation, intentional drowning, it gets real bad.' Abe replied, shaking his head sadly. 'I trust you'll help out, Red?'

'Of course.' Jackie huffed. 'That's my job, no? Also, question.'

'Shoot.'

Silence.

'Ah shit, that was probably an insensitive thing to say, huh?' Abe rubbed his eyes. 'Sorry, I'm just tired and not thinking much.'

'That's alright. Um, what made you link the murders?' Jackie asked, curious. After all, they were all killed with different methods, right?

Abe sighed once more.

'17 murders, Jackie. And every single one of them had a note left on their body.'

Jackie paused.

'What?!'

'Here.' Abe handed a small ripped piece of lined paper to Jackie. He cringed at the dry blood on it. But sure enough, on it was a message addressed directly to him.

'That's the one that was found on the most recently killed body.'

'Come and find me, Hero. 17's the number, you know that number.' Jackie stopped. Anti's favourite number. 'Or are you too scared? You've ignored the other 16 bodies, but I know this one will grasp your attention. After all, you've always liked the colour red... Maybe the murders of a few more innocent victims will get to you.'

'Why... Why didn't you tell me sooner?!'